Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Can anyone help me find this WWI soldier?

Article about: I found this photo amongst others of old family members but I haven't a clue how he links to my family: can anyone help me find a little more about him? The writing on the back says his name

kc1
    ?

Default Re: Can anyone help me find this WWI soldier?

If he lost a leg there should also be a pension record available. Ancestry are doing a free 3 day view of ww1 records 10-13 november. They also do a free 2 week trial, you have to give card details but if you cancel within the time it costs nowt. Be warned it is addictive and the time flies by.
    There may also be a record of service at the National Archives at Kew, officers records are better preserved than other ranks. If you can't get there people do research, 1914-18 forum or long long trail offer these services.
    I would have thought his time at the munitions factory would have been by way of inspection and liason between the army and the company running it. problems with shell quality was an issue throughout the war.

?

They're doing a three day free view? Excellent, I'll make sure I'm there in a flash when the time comes, that's really helpful. And I suppose he wasn't especially good for anything else at that time; missing a leg he'd find it difficult to continue fighting the war. Plus, him receiving the silver war badge means he was sent home because of his injuries, so perhaps they just thought they'd put him to good use whilst he was there?

With his wounds one of the first things I looked for was the pension record. Sadly I could not find it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

You can also subscribe to ancestory. on a monthly basis, about 25 bucks in the US, so that would be less that 20 quid in Blighty. Be careful though, you might find that you can not walk away from it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3