Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify this item for me?

Article about: I recently found this item in a relatives house, who has died. i'm very curious about it as it has a british crown symbol on its base, with H9 under it. there is stamped, J.J.B more pronounc

?

Default Can anyone identify this item for me?

I recently found this item in a relatives house, who has died. i'm very curious about it as it has a british crown symbol on its base, with H9 under it. there is stamped, J.J.B more pronounced into the base. there are two other symbols. the item is brass and has a screw top, and it is hollow inside. I am curious as it found it in a very rural irish house, the house would be over 100yrs old.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. also i hope i have the correct thread for this item.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone identify this item for me?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Can anyone identify this item for me? 

Caseydiggz
    ?

Default Re: Can anyone identify this item for me?

detailed pictures of the inside and the british crown would be great.

Regards, Casey

Hi Denise, welcome to the forum. Your thread is in the right place. I haveedited your pics for viewing ease.

What you have is a oil bottle for the Lee Enfield rifle. These were kept in the butt of the rifle.

"JJB" is the maker. The Broad Arrow is the War Dept marking.

Alll you ever needed to know about these can be found here:

http://www.enfield-stuff.com/oilers/...ypes_index.htm

Cheers, Ade.

?

wow that is fantastic. the spoon in the middle is cracked off. thanks a million for your help.

?

We used to have box fulls of these in my old cadet unit as the recruits couldnt be trusted with them, they were mostly made of brass, but that was when we had .303 no/4 s and were allowed to parade with them ,even in public,funny thing was that it was at the height of the northern ireland troubles, and the rifles were all live firers, nowadays they cant even parade with dps, stupid idea.

One of these Enfield oil bottles turned up in a vegtable garden a few houses away from my house. The markings are clearer on your one.