Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Can someone please tell me abouth this ww1 helmet !!

Article about: I just went to raceway park with my dad, it's a giant swap meet. Anyway I came across a guy with 4 helmet. One was a ww2 Japanese helmet, one was a ww1 french helmet, one was a ww2 civil def

Default Re: Can someone please tell me abouth this ww1 helmet !!

Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think this helmet would make a decent dog water dish, in the Relic condition that it's in. It has rust Holes right through it and the merest trace of a chinstrap with no liner at all. It looks as if it's a dug piece and is, basically, little more than a curiosity.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think this helmet would make a decent dog water dish, in the Relic condition that it's in. It has rust Holes right through it and the merest trace of a chinstrap with no liner at all. It looks as if it's a dug piece and is, basically, little more than a curiosity.
    The guy did say that he found it when he was medal detecting, so I'm guessing it was used in combat, I figured I'd take a shot for $20.00, I mean how can you go wrong for $20. I thought since it was ww1 it has to be close to a 100 years old, so I thought it would be pretty cool to have, like a piece of history sitting in my room

Where was he metal detecting?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    He said Belgium

- - Updated - -

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    He said Belgium

You'll see it posted quite often on here to "Buy the item, not the story". Anything is possible but I'd ceratinly question the claim that this was found detecting in Belguim and funny that was not mentioned to start with. No matter, trying to determine if this helemt served in the war is no different than trying to positively prove your M1 helmet was used in WWII and actually this helmet is more unlikely to have seen combat than your m1. The AEF did not join the war until near it's end and were initially supplied with Brit made helmets. Who knows the number of combat used helmets that actually came back with soldier but the numbers are probably pretty small in comparison to how many M1917's were issued and used post war. These were used right up until WWII, some being re-fitted with the better fitting and more comfortabel "Kelly Conversion" at the very start of WWII while waiting for M1's to be issued. This helmet you show here is not one of those Kelly Conversions but is most likely just another helmet issued stateside for a period of over 20 years between the two wars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2