Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Canadian Marked U.S. M-1917 Bayonet?

Article about: Greetings Gents, I considered myself “aware” of most of the US M1917 Bayonet variants, but I have never seen one with a Canadian acceptance mark on it. Was this done by a Canadian government

Default A Canadian Marked U.S. M-1917 Bayonet?

Greetings Gents,

I considered myself “aware” of most of the US M1917 Bayonet variants, but I have never seen one with a Canadian acceptance mark on it. Was this done by a Canadian governmental representative at Remington’s factory? It does not make sense (at least to me) that it would have been done in Canada as the markings on the ricasso have the standard US applied cancellation marks as seen when they were requisitioned for U.S. use. Just wondering, thank you for your thoughts. Note: It is the second one in (from the left) in the groups' comparative shot.

Regards,

Lance

P.S. I have posted this same question on the Great War Forum too.

Double Click on pictures to enlarge them.

A Canadian Marked U.S. M-1917 Bayonet?A Canadian Marked U.S. M-1917 Bayonet?

Interesting. I have one - but only the 'Newell 1918' scabbard
    has the Broad Arrow mark, with 'H.E.' underneath. I too
    believe they were marked here in Canada.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Greetings Steve,

Thank you for the reply, the "theory" was put forward (from the other forum) that it was originally a P13, that was then requisitioned by the US during WWI, that was then sold off to the Canadians during early-WWII. That theory would seem to nicely account for all the differing acceptance marks. Your scabbard sounds very interesting. This one came in an British P13's scabbard, that was re-modified to US standards (M1910 hooks added and frog's stud ground off). Which on the face of it would not make much sense for Canadian use (unless it came with some lend lease US pistol belts). What kind of scabbard set up does your Canadian marked one possess (in terms of hangers/belt's attachment)? Thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Lance

My scabbard is green and has no wire hooks or bracket.
    The assembly may have been broken or ground off.
    This may have made it easier to install the bayonet
    in a British/Canadian frog.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

I'm surprised how little information is available on these bayonets. The most descriptive info I can find is from Janzens' "Bayonets of the Remington Cartridge Period". It states that "large quantities where imported by Canada." Doesn't say how many or when or why.

I would have to lean towards the WWII lend lease program as well.

Jim

Greetings Gents,

Steve thank you, for the additional input on your scabbard. I have one (unmarked), but similarly modified to fit into the WW2 British Home Guard styled leather frog. I received a PM from the other forum and they too mentioned the post-WWI styled Canadian acceptance mark.

Jim I agree, It would seem to make the most sense for the bayo to be some sort of a lend-lease purchase. Thank you, for your input.

Thanks again, gents,

Lance

Here's a shot of the Canadian proofed bayo's scabbard. It is the one with the white star on it, no it has no stamps on the leather.

Thanks again!

Lance

Double click on picture to enlarge.

A Canadian Marked U.S. M-1917 Bayonet?