Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

cap badge identification

Article about: hello i was wondering if anyone might know what reigiment this cap badge is to its hard to see it but there is an outline visible. i thought it was a north irish horse badge but when i enlar

?

Default Re: cap badge identification

rob yes i cant believe how hard it is to find ive been looking on google constantly for the past three hours with no luck. i find it hard to believe cap badges are not exactly hard to come by?

i havent look there rob but its worth a go definetly from left to right are frank mcloughlin, john mcloughlin, and william mcloughlin. i think it was just frank and john who went to war and frank was killed (im not sure tho) the only other info i have really is where they are from co. tyrone, either fivemiletown or crieve.

i have searched johns name in the canadian ww1 site with no luck but i think i need more info to research?

thanks rory

Quote by rory View Post
    rob yes i cant believe how hard it is to find ive been looking on google constantly for the past three hours with no luck. i find it hard to believe cap badges are not exactly hard to come by?

i havent look there rob but its worth a go definetly from left to right are frank mcloughlin, john mcloughlin, and william mcloughlin. i think it was just frank and john who went to war and frank was killed (im not sure tho) the only other info i have really is where they are from co. tyrone, either fivemiletown or crieve.

i have searched johns name in the canadian ww1 site with no luck but i think i need more info to research?

thanks rory
    Unfortunately, there's about 150 John Mcloughlins on the medal rolls Although we know he was a Serjeant at least. I'll try to flip through them.

I did find one John Mcloughlin in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, but he was from County Leitrim, so probably not: http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc012/538458a.gif

I also found 1749 Private FRANCIS McLOUGHLIN, of 8th Bn, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, who was killed on 9th Sep 1916: CWGC - Casualty Details

That might well be your man on the left.

Rob

?

thanks rob yes i had a look and seen the man from leitrim, and i had a look through the medal cards in the national archives but the ranks didnt match for a staff sergeant but maybe he got prometed or demoted since the photo was taken.

i think if i could find a match for that cap badge i could be sure then. but i will keep trying. i will have to ask for more info to try and get a match i will let you know when i get more info.

thanks for the interest

ps ive been to calgary the night life is good

rory

Quote by rory View Post
    i had a look through the medal cards in the national archives but the ranks didnt match for a staff sergeant but maybe he got prometed or demoted since the photo was taken.
    Depends when the pic was taken. Remember that up until 1915, 3 stripes and a crown was Company Serjeant-Major or equivalent. If it's 1915 or before, he likely would have been made WOII by default when the rank was introduced.

Quote by rory View Post
    ps ive been to calgary the night life is good
    Cowtown's a great place, recommend it to anyone. 100th Anniversary of Calgary Stampede this year... should be a good party

Rob

?

completly off?
    Attached Images Attached Images cap badge identification  cap badge identification 

?

Would anyone be able to tell me if there is a good researcher out there or on the forum? As my father said he was getting someone to do it but he never got back in touch. I have looked hard and cant find anything myself, which makes me think his service records must have been destroyed. All i have to go by really is the photograph and finding the man on the 1901 and 1911 census along with his birth record.

With what i have would it be possible to find anything more out? If i had his service number i could get his medal card (my father thinks his aunt may have sold the medals to someone local so hopefully she did and we can buy them back).

Cheers

Rory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2