MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colour Sergeant R. Pompa The Rifle Brigade

Article about: Hi Here is a medal from my collection which I am in the process of researching. It was awarded to a 6376 Company Sergeant Major/Colour Sergeant of the The Rifle Brigade. I have purchased his

Default Colour Sergeant R. Pompa The Rifle Brigade

Hi

Here is a medal from my collection which I am in the process of researching. It was awarded to a 6376 Company Sergeant Major/Colour Sergeant of the The Rifle Brigade.

I have purchased his Medal Index Card and it states he arrived in France on 20.12.14, but the only Battalion to land in France that month was the 4th and they arrived in France on 21.12.14.
    So I would assume that he was with the 4th Battalion and someone made a mistake on his medal index card? As to me it doesn't make much sense to me to send a senior NCO to France without his men?

So assuming he was with the 4th Battalion he would have come under the command of 80th Brigade in 27th Division. If that is so, the Division subsequently took part in these actions:

The action of St Eloi
    The Second Battle of Ypres

The Division was ordered to Salonika in November 1915 and embarkation began on 17 November, but it was not until 13 February 1916 that the last of the Division finally arrived.

30 September - 2 October 1916: the capture of Karajakois
    3-4 October 1916: the capture of Yenikoi
    17 November and 6-7 December 1916: the battle of Tumbitza Farm

14 October 1917: the capture of Homondos

The Division lost a number of units in mid 1918; they were transferred to France
    1-30 September 1918: the final offensive in Salonika, including the capture of the Roche Noir Salient (1-2 September), the passage of the Vardar river and pursuit to the Strumica valley (22-30 September)

Hostilities with Bulgaria ceased on 30 September, with the Division by then in the area Kosturino - Rabrovo - Cestovo. The Division continued to advance and passed Krupnik by the end of October. 27th Division was ordered to halt and turn about on 2 November, embarking in December for operations on the Black Sea. It reached Constantinople on 19 December and opened HQ at Tiflis in January 1919. The Division was not disbanded until 24 September 1919, by which time it was at Batum.

So, that is all I have so far. I would really appreciate it if some one could help fill in the gaps.

And a big thank you for Ade for showing me the website which made my research possible.

Thanks

Cameron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Colour Sergeant R. Pompa The Rifle Brigade   Colour Sergeant R. Pompa The Rifle Brigade  

Default Re: Colour Sergeant R. Pompa The Rifle Brigade

Hi Cameron, I think you have done just fine with your research. A one day difference between the arrival dates in nothing, odds are they arrived in more than one ship.

His card in living techno colour

No other records have survived for him, care of Hermann Goring.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Colour Sergeant R. Pompa The Rifle Brigade  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi

Thanks for clearing the dates up Ade.

Those pesky Heinkels!

Cameron

Actually, I tell a lie.

The 1911 census has him listed as a Sgt in the Rifle Brigade. Entry no 13 on the page.

The census was done in Egypt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Colour Sergeant R. Pompa The Rifle Brigade  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi

Just a quick question, what is the small 'X' next to the Victory Medal?

Thanks

Cameron

Hi

Thanks for the extra information Ade!

I think we can safely say he was a career soldier!

Thanks

Cameron

Hi

An interesting development....

After searching through another forum I came across a thread and the person who started it was trying to find information about a CSM Richard C Pompa....her Grandfather! I know that the right thing to do is to try and return it, but how would I get in contact with her? It would be great to reunite a medal back to the family.

Thanks

Cameron

Hi

I have contacted the forum moderator so I will see where it goes!

Here is the link to the thread:

4th Battalion, Rifle Brigade 1914 - Soldiers - Great War Forum

Thanks

Cameron

Hi Cameron, keep us posted.

Re returning the medal: while a noble thing to do, bear in mind these legitimatly get sold off by (Uninterested) family members over the years.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Cameron, keep us posted.

Re returning the medal: while a noble thing to do, bear in mind these legitimatly get sold off by (Uninterested) family members over the years.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi

I will certainly keep that in mind.

Cameron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast