Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cree Grave

Article about: I saw this and thought it was worth sharing .New Cree headstone given to fallen soldier 99 years after his death

CBH
    ?

Default Cree Grave

I saw this and thought it was worth sharing .New Cree headstone given to fallen soldier 99 years after his death

A 22 year old Canadian Indian left his life, forest and family to go to the other side of the World to fight in a strange war and ended up leaving his remains in a far distant grave to Pneumonia, having never met the enemy or firing a shot in anger-dying only 5 days after his arrival in the foreign land. He didn't even speak the English language. To be buried under the wrong name for nearly a full century and lie in a foreign grave where even his family knew not where he rested. War produces some sad stories indeed.....but now, he has been found,identified and can, hopefully, sleep in peace...A shame, though, that he could not, somehow, be sent back home...What was his story? How is it that he came so far only to contract and die of pneumonia almost immediately upon arrival? We'll probably never know-John took his tale with him to the cold English soil of Surrey...Sleep well in silence with your comrades, John. You gave everything you had. One small sad life, lost amongst the many millions more who lie with him to this day-victims to a war that is today being forgotten and mythologized a 100 years later...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    I saw this and thought it was worth sharing .New Cree headstone given to fallen soldier 99 years after his death
    That is a great thing. I am happy his kin have been able to make their peace with his spirit.

I have traded with Cree people before. They are good people. Canada has porcupines with long guard hairs that grow along with their quills and they make long Head roaches out of them. A type of Indian headgear worn for dancing today. They are expensive on the southern plains. I use to go up there and trade bead work with the Cree for them then I could make a healthy profit on them and the locals were as happy as a pig rolling in $hit to get them.

CBH
    ?

I thought of you SteveR when I saw this , I was hoping you'd see it .

Good on the War Graves Commission!....