Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Crimean War 'family' photo

Article about: Apologies for my first forum post if it is in the wrong section. I have a 'family' photo an English cousin unearthed. Taken on a Crimean War battlefield, I am wondering of any of the knowled

?

Default Crimean War 'family' photo

Apologies for my first forum post if it is in the wrong section.

I have a 'family' photo an English cousin unearthed. Taken on a Crimean War battlefield, I am wondering of any of the knowledgeable people here might know something regarding the officers' uniform/Regt....I realise it might be a bit of a long shot though, the photo obviously isn't hi-res lol

A bit of narrative background, included with the pic:

"This was taken at the siege of Sebastopol, which we think was taken in 1854 when he [my great-great-grandfather] was approximately 10 years old. He is the young lad standing up.

Simeon was Russian-born, and was caught hiding in a barrel on the battlefield by a Colonel Brownrigg [officer pictured] and ultimately taken back to England."

mpw
    ?

Default Re: Crimean War 'family' photo

It might help if you know what part of the UK your family were living at the time and then find the regiments local to them. I'm pretty sure the 28th North Gloustershire regiment were in Sepastopol between 1854 - 56. As were the 49th Royal Berkshire and I believe my own local 'The Buffs' East Kent regiments.

Mark.

Very interesting! Welcome to the forum.

?

Quote by mpw View Post
    It might help if you know what part of the UK your family were living at the time and then find the regiments local to them. I'm pretty sure the 28th North Gloustershire regiment were in Sepastopol between 1854 - 56. As were the 49th Royal Berkshire and I believe my own local 'The Buffs' East Kent regiments.

Mark.

Hi Mark

Alas, my father's side of the family is very little known to us. The little Russian lad is from the maternal side of his family.

My father was born in Melbourne but was moved to Wilton in Wiltshire as a baby after his mother died of Cholera in 1914, to be brought up by surviving female relatives as was customary for the day. His last memory of his father was being held up on his shoulders, watching the troops come home in 1918.

All that is far post the 1850s though I'm afraid, and I have no further information (apart from that brief snippet above) about the mysterious Colonel!

Many thanks for those Regt suggestions, that is more than I ever expected

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Very interesting! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome Glenn

I'm not sure how much that is particularly valuable I can contribute, but military history/memorabilia/weapons have always held a strong interest and I'm sure there will be a lot to occupy me here.

Hi Zhuk,

This is a very interesting image that you've posted; and I am familiar with it, as it is a salt paper photograph taken by the official war photographer Roger Fenton in 1855 at, as you say, Sevastopol.

The two lads are Russian drummer boys captured during the siege of Sevastopol in 1854-5. They were named by the British troops Alma (on the left) and Inkerman (right) after two previous battles in the campaign.

The officer seated on the right is Lt.Col. John Studholme Brownrigg C.B., an officer of the Grenadier Guards. He was on the staff of General Sir George Brown G.C.B., officer commanding the Light Division. In the pic below Brownrigg is 2nd left.

Lt.Col. Brownrigg was born in the East Indies, the son of a soldier, in 1815. He married Katherine Williams-Wynn on the 11th of September 1840. He sailed for the Crimea on the 21st of April 1854 onboard the transport ship 'Ellen'. He was the senior army officer on board, and responsible for the sole cargo of mules and horses; this appears odd to me as the Grenadier's are a regiment of foot, but hey ho! The Guards themselves sailed out on H.M.S. Golden Fleece.

By 1866 Brownrigg is shown as retired; he reached the rank of general. He is shown in the 1881 census as 'Head of Household' in Ashford, Middlesex. That same year his wife Katherine died. He himself died in 1889 in Columbo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).

I hope this helps, I would dearly like to hear more about young Simeon and what became of him in later life if you can find out more from your folks. I would reccomend you Google Roger Fenton / Crimean photographs for better resolution pictures of your pic and many others that are available for purchase if you like.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Crimean War 'family' photo  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Zhuk,

This is a very interesting image that you've posted; and I am familiar with it, as it is a salt paper photograph taken by the official war photographer Roger Fenton in 1855 at, as you say, Sevastopol.

The two lads are Russian drummer boys captured during the siege of Sevastopol in 1854-5. They were named by the British troops Alma (on the left) and Inkerman (right) after two previous battles in the campaign.

The officer seated on the right is Lt.Col. John Studholme Brownrigg C.B., an officer of the Grenadier Guards. He was on the staff of General Sir George Brown G.C.B., officer commanding the Light Division. In the pic below Brownrigg is 2nd left.

Lt.Col. Brownrigg was born in the East Indies, the son of a soldier, in 1815. He married Katherine Williams-Wynn on the 11th of September 1840. He sailed for the Crimea on the 21st of April 1854 onboard the transport ship 'Ellen'. He was the senior army officer on board, and responsible for the sole cargo of mules and horses; this appears odd to me as the Grenadier's are a regiment of foot, but hey ho! The Guards themselves sailed out on H.M.S. Golden Fleece.

By 1866 Brownrigg is shown as retired; he reached the rank of general. He is shown in the 1881 census as 'Head of Household' in Ashford, Middlesex. That same year his wife Katherine died. He himself died in 1889 in Columbo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).

I hope this helps, I would dearly like to hear more about young Simeon and what became of him in later life if you can find out more from your folks. I would reccomend you Google Roger Fenton / Crimean photographs for better resolution pictures of your pic and many others that are available for purchase if you like.

Regards, Ned.

Ned...wow! what can I say...but I'm quite speechless with your post. Actually gobsmacked wouldn't be putting a too bold a term to it lol

Wonderful amount of background there on the Lt. Colonel I never dreamed of having. Many thanks for it I now have quite a lot to go for on further research. Thanks also for the headsup on the official photographer Fenton.

And something very interesting has arisen...you mention that 'Inkerman' was the name given to Simeon...we had known that he was named after a battle site, but because at some point that must have transmuted into 'SINCA', we could not find a record of that engagment. Several English relatives bear that name today. You have solved a mystery for me which has always puzzled the family.

Simeon Sinca settled in Wiltshire and became a house carpenter.

Another photo - circa 1908; Simeon is the senior figure in the group, on the knee of his wife Tirzah sits my father's mother Daisy. The rather shapely young woman in the back row is my father's aunt Liz who brought him up.

Simeon in 1870

It is quite a sobering thought to contemplate what may have become of him had he never left Russia.
    Last edited by zhuk; 05-18-2012 at 03:08 PM.

That's some great info and pictures! I'm glad to have helped solve a little riddle in your family, it's made my day! A bit more info on Brownrigg; he was a sitting J.P. in 1881 and lived in a large house called Ashford Lodge which employed several servants. At the time his daughter in law and grand daughter were living there with a couple of house guests from Ireland. The Guards had been based there prior to and after the Crimean war, so perhaps that's a connection.

Here's the census list for occupants of Ashford Lodge in 1881, note he is the only male in the household.

John Studholm BROWNRIGG Head W Male 66 East Indies Genl
    On The Active List Of Justices Of Peace
    Mary Jemima BROWNRIGG Daur In Law M Female 34 North
    Cranley, Buckingham, England
    Katherine Louisa BROWNRIGG Grand Daur U Female 8 Montese
    Rectory, Buckingham, England
    Harriet J. CONLAIN Visitor M Female 28 Ireland
    Maria GRAYDON Visitor M Female 22 Ireland
    Clara M. BACK Visitor M Female 22 Hayes, Kent, England
    Marie C.C. ENDERS House Keeper U Female 50 Germany
    Housekeeper
    Sarah Ann BENCH Cook U Female 44 Wimborne, Dorset, England
    Cook
    Myra BAKER Parlor Maid U Female 25 Malden, Essex, England
    Parlormaid
    Fanny WILKINS Housemaid U Female 20 Dadford, Buckingham,
    England Housemaid
    Ester M. DIBBLE Kitchen Maid U Female 22 Sunningdale,
    Buckingham, England Kitchenmaid

W=Widower
    M=Married
    U=Unmarried

All the best, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hey Zhuk! Welcome aboard. Long time, no see. Great picture and family history.

How have you been?

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    That's some great info and pictures! I'm glad to have helped solve a little riddle in your family, it's made my day! A bit more info on Brownrigg; he was a sitting J.P. in 1881 and lived in a large house called Ashford Lodge which employed several servants. At the time his daughter in law and grand daughter were living there with a couple of house guests from Ireland. The Guards had been based there prior to and after the Crimean war, so perhaps that's a connection.

Here's the census list for occupants of Ashford Lodge in 1881, note he is the only male in the household.

John Studholm BROWNRIGG Head W Male 66 East Indies Genl
    On The Active List Of Justices Of Peace
    Mary Jemima BROWNRIGG Daur In Law M Female 34 North
    Cranley, Buckingham, England
    Katherine Louisa BROWNRIGG Grand Daur U Female 8 Montese
    Rectory, Buckingham, England
    Harriet J. CONLAIN Visitor M Female 28 Ireland
    Maria GRAYDON Visitor M Female 22 Ireland
    Clara M. BACK Visitor M Female 22 Hayes, Kent, England
    Marie C.C. ENDERS House Keeper U Female 50 Germany
    Housekeeper
    Sarah Ann BENCH Cook U Female 44 Wimborne, Dorset, England
    Cook
    Myra BAKER Parlor Maid U Female 25 Malden, Essex, England
    Parlormaid
    Fanny WILKINS Housemaid U Female 20 Dadford, Buckingham,
    England Housemaid
    Ester M. DIBBLE Kitchen Maid U Female 22 Sunningdale,
    Buckingham, England Kitchenmaid

W=Widower
    M=Married
    U=Unmarried

All the best, Ned.

Great stuff Ned, looks like both our days have been made!

I've located a much better resolution photo of the battlefield one thanks to your suggestion, appreciate all your assistance

Quote by M14sRock View Post
    Hey Zhuk! Welcome aboard. Long time, no see. Great picture and family history.

How have you been?

Hey M14! How are you going mate?

Many apologies, I deserted you guys at FTF without warning huh; long painful story. Cutting it short the last year has been spent fighting both the Govt & our own organisation as we lost our range, ie lot of political angst. Might make a prodigal return, if that wouldn't put too many noses out of joint!

Thanks for the welcome

Quote by zhuk View Post
    Great stuff Ned, looks like both our days have been made!

I've located a much better resolution photo of the battlefield one thanks to your suggestion, appreciate all your assistance

Hey M14! How are you going mate?

Many apologies, I deserted you guys at FTF without warning huh; long painful story. Cutting it short the last year has been spent fighting both the Govt & our own organisation as we lost our range, ie lot of political angst. Might make a prodigal return, if that wouldn't put too many noses out of joint!

Thanks for the welcome
    No sweat mate. But FTF is NOT what it was. Don't bother going back.