Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Death penny rememberance commemoration scroll

Article about: Hello my wifes great grandmother was married to a pte in the machine gun corps who was killed in 1917. My mother in law has his death penny as well as a couple of medals. My wifes grandmothe

Default Death penny rememberance commemoration scroll

Hello my wifes great grandmother was married to a pte in the machine gun corps who was killed in 1917. My mother in law has his death penny as well as a couple of medals.

My wifes grandmother has recently moved into a nursing home and her home was cleared out. These photographs were found along with the two commeoration scrolls. Also the original tube that the scrolls were sent in. All the items were found together.

I have seen pennys and medals sell at a good price. What sort of value would all these items get together including the penny and medals? Are the scrolls rare or quite common? We are not looking to cash in and I am in the hope that the items may come my way!

Are there any good websites where I can research him a bt more? Any help would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Death penny rememberance commemoration scroll   Death penny rememberance commemoration scroll  

Death penny rememberance commemoration scroll   Death penny rememberance commemoration scroll  

Death penny rememberance commemoration scroll  

A full set is not something you see often, though the scrolls, the plaque and the medals all have a value, I could not say for your family group, but the value is affected by the unit, in your case MGC, which would be desirable I think, the date and action in which he fell, did he have any other awards, did he qualify for the 1914 star or the 14-15 star or only (I hope that does not sound rude) the War medal and Victory medal. Having pictures of him also affects the value and the full set has got to bring a premium I think.

The memorial plaques were made by two different makers and the second maker made two different versions and which one he had might also affect value.

First step in researching him, as he will be listed here.
    CWGC - Find War Dead
    Also he should be listed here and you can find phtographs of any gravestones/memorials to him
    War Grave and Memorial Photographs supplied by The War Graves Photographic Project
    As a relative, maybe your wife can apply here for his service records
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...-guard-records
    Also search here for his medal index card
    Discover our collections | The National Archives
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi

Here is your wives Great Grandfather on the CWGC, it has him listed as being killed in action on 26th April 1918 while serving as a Private with 35th Battalion Machine Gun Corps.

CWGC - Casualty Details

The 35th Battalion Machine Gun Corps was formed on 2nd March 1918 and was part of the 35th Division.

The 35th Division of the British Army in 1914-1918

Thanks

Cameron

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    A full set is not something you see often, though the scrolls, the plaque and the medals all have a value, I could not say for your family group, but the value is affected by the unit, in your case MGC, which would be desirable I think, the date and action in which he fell, did he have any other awards, did he qualify for the 1914 star or the 14-15 star or only (I hope that does not sound rude) the War medal and Victory medal. Having pictures of him also affects the value and the full set has got to bring a premium I think.

The memorial plaques were made by two different makers and the second maker made two different versions and which one he had might also affect value.

First step in researching him, as he will be listed here.
    CWGC - Find War Dead
    Also he should be listed here and you can find phtographs of any gravestones/memorials to him
    War Grave and Memorial Photographs supplied by The War Graves Photographic Project
    As a relative, maybe your wife can apply here for his service records
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...-guard-records
    Also search here for his medal index card
    Discover our collections | The National Archives
    Hi Jerry

I thought that service records from World War One are kept at the National Archives?

Thanks

Cameron

Quote by Cameron Stockton View Post
    Hi Jerry

I thought that service records from World War One are kept at the National Archives?

Thanks

Cameron
    You are probably correct Cam, the only ones I searched for were my Dads from WWII.
    Regards,

Jerry

Gentlemen thank you for the help. I have down loaded his medal card. He arrived in theatre 25/08/1915 and was entitled to the victory medal and 1915 star. He initially joined The Royal Scots. There is another a picture of him in this uniform. A further trip to the Outlaws me thinks!!

He would have been entitled to the British War Medal as well, often it is marked as Do on the line for it between the victory and star entries, meaning Ditto.
    Regards,

Jerry

For anyone interested he is remembered on a memorial at St Judes Church Sounth Kensington West London

St. Jude's Church, South Kensington, War Memorial, London

Quote by Cameron Stockton View Post
    Hi Jerry

Thanks

Cameron
    Only those that survived the bombing raid in WW2 that destroyed two thirds of them sadly .

Walter Marr's record does appear to have survived but here's some further details from the "Soldiers Died in the Great War" publications:

Name:Walter James Marr
    Birth Place:Kensington, Middx.
    Death Date:26 Apr 1918
    Death Location:France & Flanders
    Enlistment Location:Kensington
    Regiment:Machine Gun Corps
    Battalion: (Infantry)
    Number:127535
    Type of Casualty:Killed in action
    Theatre of War:Western European Theatre
    Comments: Formerly 517133, London Regt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast