Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Denim trench cap

Article about: The latest addition to my small collection... a rather worn denim trench cap badged to the Finsbury rifles. A little threadbare in places, but it displays rather well. If only it could talk.

Default Denim trench cap

The latest addition to my small collection... a rather worn denim trench cap badged to the Finsbury rifles. A little threadbare in places, but it displays rather well. If only it could talk...

Denim trench capDenim trench capDenim trench capDenim trench capDenim trench cap

A nice find mate!...

You are a braver man than I to spend out on one of these, the fakes/copies are so good these days and a bit of aging etc.....

I could not comment either way on this one, though the use of rifles buttons is a nice touch that perhaps a faker would not do.

I sincerely hope its a good one Steve.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A nice item indeed and in good nick for the age of it

Having gone about as far as I can with regular British cap badges of WWI I have lately started on The Territorial Force, The London Regt etc but the 11th London Regt (Finsbury Rifles) is still on my list.

I think they served at Gallipoli then Mid East and Palestine din't they? I don't know nearly enough about that theatre much to my embarassment.

Your are right to say "if it could talk".

Thanks for showing.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    You are a braver man than I to spend out on one of these, the fakes/copies are so good these days and a bit of aging etc.....

I could not comment either way on this one, though the use of rifles buttons is a nice touch that perhaps a faker would not do.

I sincerely hope its a good one Steve.
    Hi Jerry, I absolutely agree with every word you have said. I own a very fine reproduction woollen trench cap badged to the East Lancashire's. But believe me, when you have this cap in hand, there can be no doubting the originality of it. There are several patches of wear which are almost in holes. The chinstrap is extremely fragile, and the edges of it look nibbled. The photographs of the cap are rather flattering to be honest - especially to the interior. I have no doubt that it is totally original.

?

Although I certainly am not an expert on British items the wear and aging to the liner and cap cloth leads me to strongly believe this cap is original.

like the look of it.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Hi Jerry, I absolutely agree with every word you have said. I own a very fine reproduction woollen trench cap badged to the East Lancashire's. But believe me, when you have this cap in hand, there can be no doubting the originality of it. There are several patches of wear which are almost in holes. The chinstrap is extremely fragile, and the edges of it look nibbled. The photographs of the cap are rather flattering to be honest - especially to the interior. I have no doubt that it is totally original.
    I do like it Steve and with a second and third look I can see more things I like than not and its only my lack of experience of originals that mean I cannot give a 100% agreement on it being good, but I am 99% sure that it is a period original.

I like the chinstrap, especially the side with the rivet and also the faint traces of a rectangular stamp in the crown and I can well believe that in the hand it is a one looker.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It's unquestionably an original. The wear to the denim is common to original caps. The three denim caps I have all exhibit this type of wear.

regards

Mark

Something very odd going on with the dates on this thread; Mark's post above reads 13 July 2019 on the index but 26 June 2016 on the post!! Anyway +1 to that as it's clearly an original showing typical wear to the lining and outer fabric. But it's true that there are some frighteningly good fakes around now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast