Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Duke of Wellington's Regt insignia

Article about: Some more badges from my collection. Here we have two cap badges, one of which is a cast field made example made from brass alone, made in India I think. Plus a collar dog and a shoulder tit

Default Duke of Wellington's Regt insignia

Some more badges from my collection. Here we have two cap badges, one of which is a cast field made example made from brass alone, made in India I think. Plus a collar dog and a shoulder title.

Some good info on the Regt can be found here:

The Duke of Wellingtons Regiment (West Riding) Regimental Association

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Duke of Wellington's Regt insignia  

?

Default Re: Duke of Wellington's Regt insignia

Hi Ade nice set from the Dukes, but I've got to ask the question;
    Do you also have the red back patch for the cap badge?
    Sorry if Im being picky and pedantic, but the Dukes are a personal interest of mine.
    It was my "parent regiment" when I was in the TA and my brother was in 1DWR for about 16 years.

Hi Jimpy, sorry no backings with these.

All these badges came from a friend who gave them to me a few years ago. He collected them as a boy. Sadly he has passed away now.

Cheers, Ade.

those are brilliant badges ade

tom

Thanks Tom.

I will have to photograph the back of the cast one at some point as it is interesting as there are some markings on the slider (lug) fitting.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Duke of Wellingtons Regt Silk Work & Coronation Certificate

Hi , i have what i have been told an early 20th century Boer War Silk Work of the Duke of Wellingtons Regiment this also came with an Infantry Display Coronation Durbar , Delhi certificate which is dated 1911 , i have taken a close-up of the certificate so it is all readable . As for the workmanship that has gone into the silk work it is absolutly amazing & must have taken someone an age too complete , as you can see the colours are still very vibrant although the ink writing & signature on the certificate has faded with time . If anyone could let me have any more information about these 2 items such as collectability & possible value then please pm me .

The size of the silk incl frame is 27" high x 29" wide

Duke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insignia

?

Default Re: Duke of Wellingtons Regt Silk Work & Coronation Certificate

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    Hi , i have what i have been told an early 20th century Boer War Silk Work of the Duke of Wellingtons Regiment this also came with an Infantry Display Coronation Durbar , Delhi certificate which is dated 1911 , i have taken a close-up of the certificate so it is all readable . As for the workmanship that has gone into the silk work it is absolutly amazing & must have taken someone an age too complete , as you can see the colours are still very vibrant although the ink writing & signature on the certificate has faded with time . If anyone could let me have any more information about these 2 items such as collectability & possible value then please pm me .

The size of the silk incl frame is 27" high x 29" wide

Duke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insigniaDuke of Wellington's Regt insignia

Hi HD1450

I must admit to having "got a chill" straight through me when I saw the silks and certificate, (see my posting at #2 above)

I havent got a clue about value, I suspect in the region of a couple of hundred GBP Plus, given their condition and suspected age, and believe you me, f I had the money, I would gladly take them off your hands, and travel to collect them!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Hi Jimpy , appreciate your comments , the silkwork is stunning when in hand , the pictures just don't do it justice .

?

HD1450

Just a thought, (I dont know where you are in the UK, but it might be worth pinging the DWR Regimental museum a line, they may be able to give you a bit more info than I can mate. (Its in Halifax, West Yorks)

Apologies for the "long winded" item below, I did a "cut and paste" job and got the lot! LOL

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Home Regimental Association Regimental History Regular Battalion
    Regimental History MenuMinutes of Trustees of DWR Museum Apr 10IntroductionRegimental History: PreambleHistory GalleryRegimental Museum Through Soldiers' Eyes Museum Museum Opening Through Soldiers EyesRegimental Battle HonoursRegimental ColoursVictoria Cross RecipientsThe Dukes and RugbyDukes & The West RidingService MemoriesRegimental Archives

The Regimental Museum

Click to see Related Article published in the Halifax Courier 6 Febuary 2008: Remember our brave, tough lads of The First World War - Local - Halifax Courier

The Museum’s History and Origins

The Regimental Museum was first established in the Depot Keep at the Barracks in Highroad Well, Halifax, in 1921. It was later moved to a new building specifically built to house it, which is now occupied by the Regimental Headquarters, just outside the lower gate to the barracks. Its primary purpose was to educate recruits in the traditions and history of the Regiment. During the period of National Service (1948–1959) it was managed by the Depot Education Officer.

In 1961 After the Depot closed, the Museum was relocated to Bankfield Museum, one of the Halifax, (later Calderdale Borough) museums.

The Museum was refurbished in 1984/5 and reopened by the Colonel in Chief, The Duke of Wellington in 1986. In 1991 the National Museums and Galleries Commission formally registered the Museum.

Further changes to the Museum displays were planned in 2003/4, The changes had a new style and and content to previous museum displays to tell the story of the Regiment “Through Soldiers Eyes”.

The first phase of this refurbishment was achieved with the assistance of a Grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund. It was opened By the Colonel of the Regiment, Major General Sir Evelyn Webb-Carter KVCO OBE and the Mayor of Calderdale on the 22nd of October 2005.

The refurbished series of displays describe the history of the Regiment, backwards through time, from the present day back to 1702 when the Regiment was first raised by the 8th Earl Of Huntington. The display cases are related to, using audio recordings, by individual soldiers telling their own stories, bringing to life their background, conditions and experiences, during different periods of service, from today back through the Korean War to World War 2. A further refurbishment of cases prior to this date is being planned.

The emphasis of the Museum is placed on the unique traditions of the Regiment and its links with the West Riding of Yorkshire, links with the 1st Duke of Wellington and the sporting tradition of rugby football in the Dukes.

The Collection illustrates the history of the Regiment from the raising of the 33rd Foot in 1702 and the 76th Foot in 1787 to the present day. The Museum has undergone a recent redesign to tell the story of the Regiment ‘through the eyes’ of the soldiers who served in it. There is a strong emphasis on the unique traditions of the Regiment and its links with the West Riding of Yorkshire. Each period case focuses on two or three soldiers and tells their story in their own words through recordings and displays of their life in “The Dukes”. Other exhibits relate to the local Volunteer, Militia and Territorial Forces and there are display of objects associated with the Iron Duke himself and the Regiment’s heritage as a name synonymous with Rugby in the British Army. Modern museum techniques using audio recordings and touch screen computers enable access the Regimental photographic collection Access to the Regimental archive is by appointment.

Sgt Maj Dennis Mitchell
    Sgt Walter Downs

Bankfield Museum is housed within a large Victorian mansion, on the Queensbury Road, one mile from the centre of Halifax, primarily housing a National Textile Museum. Calderdale Council provide much support, to the Regiment, and believe that the regimental museum is an important and relevant part of their heritage.

The Duke of Wellington’s Regimental Museum
    Bankfield Museum
    Akroyd Park
    Halifax
    West Yorkshire
    HX3 6HG.

Telephone 01422 354823 / 01422 352334
    Fax: 01422 349020

Opening Times
    Open: Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Sunday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

Closed: Mondays (except Bank Holidays, Sunday Timings), Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day

Admission and Parking is Free

Calderdale Museum Website: Contact details: Bankfield Museum: Calderdale Council

The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment Regimental Museum is located within Bankfield Museum, which is situated off the A647 Halifax to Queensbury road, just over ∏ mile from the centre of Halifax.

Content Copyright © 2011 The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)Site Map Privacy Website Terms of Use

PS: Forgot to add, if you do a Google search for "Regimental Museum, Duke of Wellingtons Regiment" or similar, you should come up with the appropriate link.
    Last edited by jimpy; 10-18-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Addition

?

Many thanks Ian , i might well contact them . Thanks Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast