Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Family photo of three brothers all the services represented

Article about: Hi Please allow me to share this rather unique family photo of my wifes great grandfather, (he is in the middle) and his two brothers circa 1917/1918. RFC, Navy and Army represented by the f

Default Family photo of three brothers all the services represented

Hi

Please allow me to share this rather unique family photo of my wifes great grandfather, (he is in the middle) and his two brothers circa 1917/1918.

RFC, Navy and Army represented by the family! They are Alfred, Robert and Harry Barnett and all three survived the war.

We are still trying to put together information on this side of the family and if anyone can help with the cap badge of the Army that would be a great help.

Also any naval buffs who might know of the ship on the cap band any help would be appreciated. he also served on what looks like HMS Marvell and HMS Sirdar and maybe Pemberton ? but the cap tally is hard to read on that picture.

regards

Tony

Family photo of three brothers all the services represented

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Thanks Ned

I think Neds correct,the cap badge,I keep thinking sherwood foresters don't know why.?

Rifle brigade prince consorts own is most likely, whilst the 7th & 8th Bn's prince of wale's own west yorks is similar as is the 7th Bn robin hood sherwood foresters notts & derby and also the 8th, 17th & 19th bn's of the county of london
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

cheers guys I knew this was the best place to get invaluable help.............really appreciated.

Tony

Quote by spandau View Post
    cheers guys I knew this was the best place to get invaluable help.............really appreciated.

Tony
    Sorry Tony that I can't be 100%, but perhaps if you know which part of the UK he was from you can narrow it down to the most likely.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

great I wasn't far out.

Hi Jerry

You are on the money with the badges as I believe the family may have been from London, the East End to be precise.

It appears they were originally from Eastern Europe and are Jewish making the East End a very likely bet. This is not confirmed for sure but the London battalions are a possibility. The research is on going.

cheers

Tony

Have you ordered Robert's naval record card?
    Royal Navy ratings' service records 1853-1923 | The National Archives

This will tell you exactly what ships he served on.

Cheers, Tom