Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Ford M1917 ambulance

Article about: Such patience and focus!! great work!!

Default Ford M1917 ambulance

Here is a project I have been working for a while, most of you have probably already seen it posted elsewhere, but I am always looking for more information on the USAAS. For years I searched for an original Ford Model T ambulance. To date, I have not been able to locate an original in the US, although I suspect there is at least one. All of the examples displayed in the various museums around the US are replicas, made by a couple of Montana farmers in the 1980s, so I figured that was the only way I could have one. The Chassis is a 1919 Ford Model T that I acquired last spring. I started constructing the body a few weeks ago. There are no plans for the M1917 available, the boys in Montana checked out an original set but it seems that they did not return them. With the help of several people around the US, and by using period photos, dimensions and construction was pieced together. It is not finished yet, but is together enough to make it to a local car show, complete with casualty on a stretcher in the back.

Best
    Gus

Default Re: Ford M1917 ambulance

Sweet!!

Lovely a lot of good work there. Is it running?
    Last edited by reneblacky; 08-26-2012 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added text

Great work, looks amazing.
    Does it run? Whats the engine type?
    Cheers.
    Nuno

It does run, it has the standard Ford model T engine and planetary transmission. The pinion bearing was out on the rear axle, so I had to rebuild that and replace the ring and pinion. I am working on a second example that will go an a non running chassis (for the time being anyway, I suspect that I will get it running some time in the future) I figured that if I do a long term display for a museum, there was no need to have it running.
    Best
    Gus

I love it

nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Very nice.

Martin

Here is a recent photo with the uniform of Frank Frankenfield, who was a mechanic with Evacuation Ambulance Co #8

Excellent work!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Its a beaut!
    Kudos for having the patience and the knowledge to finish it.

Dont sell it ever or you'll see it poppping up on eflay as the ambulance, that Hemmingway drove and with a million doller price tag

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast