Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

Article about: French Soldiers Crafted Cave Murals in World War I - SPIEGEL ONLINE BBC News - WWI underground: Unearthing the hidden tunnel war Maybe Sheds some light ( no pun intended ) on why a sticking

Default Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

Hi, I have 21 Items from our ancestor who fought in France. I identified the bayonet looking item on the Blue cap as a Sticking Tommy, A candle holder used in the mines for coal.
    The blue cap, is giving me fits, are the tank pics worth anything to anyone? there are also some stars and stripes papers, a signal mirror, a serviceman's bible, a poster of Flanders field and a thank you book from the French for coming and dieing in Europe.. many thanks for looking..
    Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

Default Re: Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

Hello Warhammer,
    Very nice family grouping you have! I particularly enjoy the original photos of tanks in action. The cap appears to be a WWI French one, though I'm not sure what the yellow piping signifies. I'd enjoy learning any information you care to share on the serviceman's history and service.
    Neat group!
    -Johannes

Default Re: Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    Love the map.
    Who was your ancestor?
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

Nice items.
    I love the pictures.
    What unit was he in ?

Hello everyone, thank you for making me welcome. The relative was Lucien Forrest McConihe Junior, He was at Camp Pontanezen and then sent to another part of France. There are dozens of letters to go through still. We know he saw action either with the combined national guard of Oregon, Washington state, Idaho, and North Dakota, the 41st Infantry Division or the 146th Field Artillery Regiment. In his Obituary it simply says he served in France during World war 1 for two years. His estate sat undisturbed from 1970 till now. There were also these items Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hope you keep these together. The tank photos are interesting and may indicate that your ancestor was a Tanker. One US battalion was equipped with MKV*--which those are.

The Cap might be French but to me more probably a 40/8 society cap. This was a post war group of US veterans (club is still active) and they adopted the Horizon Blue cap. Usually seen with a pinned 40/8 or enbroidered right on cap, but sometimes without.

Joe Sweeney

Attachment 369330Attachment 369331Attachment 369332Attachment 369333

GERMAN WWI MODEL 1916 HELMET COMPLETE LINER With original Pillows, Bowie knife, not sure he carried it or not

- - Updated - -

Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

oops, messed up the one before

FYI, the 41st Div and 146th FA (same Div) were depot troops and saw no action during WWI. They sent replacements to the front. If he saw action it was not with those units. Maybe sent to tank Corps?

Joe Sweeney

Would anyone be interested in what Lucien Forrest McConihe, Juniors Dad and Lucien Harper McConihe his Grandpa collected in their lives in the Wyoming Territory in the Powder river area as Mountain Men\ Trappers\ Homesteaders? From 1820 To 1875? Really incredible stuff, here is a taste.. The picture Is Lucien the Dad, The Bag is made of 100% Deer Sinew, We are getting close to identifying the tribe, The museum thinks the bag is from a sub artic Tribe. No one yet has seen one like this... Pretty exciting,
    Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

Quote by Joe Sweeney View Post
    FYI, the 41st Div and 146th FA (same Div) were depot troops and saw no action during WWI. They sent replacements to the front. If he saw action it was not with those units. Maybe sent to tank Corps?

Joe Sweeney
    That could have been, I think he was in the infantry, He could have been in the tank Corps, Still looking through the letters, Must be about 75 of them..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast