Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

Article about: French Soldiers Crafted Cave Murals in World War I - SPIEGEL ONLINE BBC News - WWI underground: Unearthing the hidden tunnel war Maybe Sheds some light ( no pun intended ) on why a sticking

Default Re: Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

French Soldiers Crafted Cave Murals in World War I - SPIEGEL ONLINE
    BBC News - WWI underground: Unearthing the hidden tunnel war

Maybe Sheds some light ( no pun intended ) on why a sticking Tommy may have been in with the German helmet and other World War 1 Items. Perhaps Lucien was digging trenches as well as driving tanks?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

?

Default Re: Found several world war 1 items in the families estate, Help Identify please?

It is simple really. There wasn't electricty supplied to the trenches for night lights.
    The Tommy pick was a simple tool driven into wood that could hold candles or lanterns from the hook for light. I have found them in American civil war groupings.
    In my area where mining was a major industry I have come across many of different styles and know from talks with many WWI vets that they took them to France for just that purpose. There were candles made for them that burned more slowly for extended use. Around here they were called miners candles.
    They are collectable in their own right as a primitive lighting device.

The yellow piping on the French cap is the colour of infantry.
    Best
    Gus

Awesome stuff!

The 41st was first activated for Army service in 1 April 1917 primarily from Guard units of the Northwestern United States and trained at Camp Green, North Carolina. It consisted of the 81st Infantry Brigade (161st and 162nd Infantry Regiments) and the 82nd Infantry Brigade (163rd and 164th Infantry Regiments).[1] On 26 November 1917 the first elements of the division embarked for Europe as part of the American Expeditionary Force (AEF). Men of the 41st were aboard the SS Tuscania when it was torpedoed by a German U-boat and sunk off the coast of Northern Ireland.

In France, the 41st Division received a major disappointment. It was designated a replacement division and did not go to combat as a unit. The majority of its infantry personnel went to the 1st, 2nd, 32nd and 42nd Infantry Divisions where they served throughout the war. The 147th Field Artillery was attached to the 32nd Division and saw action at the Third Battle of the Aisne, the Meuse-Argonne and other areas. The 146th and 148th of the 66th Field Artillery Brigade were attached as corps artillery units and participated in the battles of Château-Thierry, Aisne-Marne, St Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne. (Wiki)

(I am currently in the 2nd Battalion of the 162nd Infantry Regiment 41st IBCT

Yellow piping denoted Infantry arm of service in the French Army . The style is late war French and the wool looks like other ranks issue . Piping is usually on NCO and Officer caps only

Those tank pics are choice, and bowie knife a beaut.

?

Some nice items there.

I like that 1916 helmet.

Are there any markings on the Bowie knife?
    Any more pics of it?

Quote by warhammer View Post
    Interesting. What is the story behind these gentlemen and the kit above.
    I see some very traditional skinning knives, but what is in the vials and what are all the other implements for?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2