MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

french bayonet?center fuller

Article about: hello,my friend is in possesion of this IMO strange bayonet, the grip is similiar to french 1842 i do not know the textbook measures of 1842 but this one have 23mm of barrel ring diameter an

Default french bayonet?center fuller

hello,my friend is in possesion of this IMO strange bayonet,
    the grip is similiar to french 1842 i do not know the textbook measures of 1842 but this one have 23mm of barrel ring diameter and have a overal lenght 630mm.the blade is for me a first time see with the center fuller.the marking WCG is also something new for me
    can it be same fantasy piece?
    best regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture french bayonet?center fuller   french bayonet?center fuller  

french bayonet?center fuller   french bayonet?center fuller  

french bayonet?center fuller  

Hello,

A bit of a mystery but I do not think this is a French made piece. I agree the handle is similar in appearance to a French M1842, however in my opinion it is certainly not one (see image below of M1842). Also note the lack of French period armory marking (s) on the blade.

I could be absolutely on the wrong track here, but.. it could be an old movie prop bayonet. Does the blade look like it has ever been sharp or purposefully blunted? The old US Hollywood company; Western Costume Co or WCC come to mind. This company has been around for over 100 years. In the early days they sometimes used real military weapons and/or parts to construct props or at least used them to copy as they promoted their 'historical accuracy'. Although it appears to be marked 'W.C.G', it's possible its actually 'W.C.C' and had a flaw on the stamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images french bayonet?center fuller 

It has been mentioned on another forum that this might be a fake... or at least parts of it.

I've had a think about it too. Though definitely not French made, (more likely German), it's unlike any I've seen, and for the era suggested by the brass hilt and crossbar, the blade we would expect to be of the yataghan type. I think it's a construction of two or more bayonets. Identify the blade and you have your answer.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I've had a think about it too. Though definitely not French made, (more likely German), it's unlike any I've seen, and for the era suggested by the brass hilt and crossbar, the blade we would expect to be of the yataghan type. I think it's a construction of two or more bayonets. Identify the blade and you have your answer.
    The blade was identified (on another forum) as a possible Chinese copy. A straight blade does not look right on this handle.

thank you very much for the response
    i will give the info to the owner of this bayo
    regards