Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

French Lebel bayonet

Article about: Is this a good ww1 period bayonet? Do you think it would make a good addition to a ww1 collection? Thanks in advance.

Default French Lebel bayonet

Is this a good ww1 period bayonet? Do you think it would make a good addition to a ww1 collection? Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Lebel bayonet   French Lebel bayonet  

French Lebel bayonet   French Lebel bayonet  

?

This one is referred to as a M1886/35. It is the shorter version than the M1886 Lebel.

I only have one of those, but mine is the longer version.

Looks like this modification took place in 1935, So I would say No to being used in WW1 .
    In it original configuration(1886) that might have been used during WW1.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 04-20-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Added comment

?

Well, it does still has the ' Hooked Quillion' here is a brief explanation..
    There were two Model 1886 Lebel bayonets. The French called this style an épée bayonet, after the épée sword used in fencing, because of the cruciform cross section of the blade. Both bayonets have 20 ½ inch (52.7 cm) long blades, but they can be found in various lengths as the blades were often repointed when the tip broke off in field use. The French also modified many of these bayonets in 1935 by shortening them.
    Originally the bayonets had a nickel-silver handle and a hooked quillion. By 1916, with the need to conserve nickel for the war effort, the handles were made of brass. About the same time they were manufactured without the quillion, I assume because the French discovered the quillions were more apt to get caught on equipment straps than catch the downward thrust of an enemy bayonet. Interesting enough, we see here a Lebel being worn by the RAD and in full length without the quillion in at least in 36', so with the hook it may stand a 50/50 chance of being used in the Great War, JMO
    Info credit: Collectors weekly / Gwar
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French Lebel bayonet   French Lebel bayonet  

French Lebel bayonet  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "