Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Gallipoli 1915 medallion

Article about: Hey guys, Annoyed from this ads?   Enjoy.

?

Yes that's the Island!!! My mind went blank while I was posting..I hate those brain farts!!!

Dean O

Quote by CampX View Post
    Yes that's the Island!!! My mind went blank while I was posting..I hate those brain farts!!!

Dean O
    Ha! glad to assist!
    I think I read somewhere that they are trying to get a memorial in place for the nurses on the island?

?

Just did a quick check, there were 2 Canadian Hospitals there and one Aussie Hospital, there are 3 CWGC Cemeteries..

I understand a Group in Australia is trying to raise funds for a Proper Memorial

Dean O

Hi Danger, I have not seen one of these either, but a fine exhibit for Loyal Service. Nice postings. Enjoy your visit to Anzac cove.
    Regards SK

very nice medallion,bless em all.

?

Thanks guys.

Many nations served and lost at Gallipoli and we will remember them all.
    We owe them that much.

Looks Great! The whole Anzac connection personally ( family, friends) Thought it was stellar!

?

Thanks guys. Im glad you all enjoy it.

?

I had a look and found his records.

AICKIN, Francis William - WWI 4/66, WWII 27764 - Army

For those in the know,

When war broke out in Europe in August 1914, Britain asked New Zealand to seize German Samoa as a ‘great and urgent Imperial service’. New Zealand’s response was swift. Led by Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Logan, the 1400-strong Samoa Advance Party of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force landed at Apia on 29 August. There was no resistance from German officials or the general population.

Next day Logan proclaimed a New Zealand-run British military occupation of German Samoa. The German flag was lowered and all buildings and properties belonging to the previous administration were seized. In the presence of officers, troops and ‘leading Native chiefs’, the British flag was raised outside the government building in Apia.

This was the second German territory, after Togoland in Africa, to fall to the Allies in the First World War.

Looks like Aickin was part of that force and then went onto Gallipoli.
    Two historic events in NZ history in WW1.
    And he was in both WW1 and WW2.
    I'm loving this medallion more and more!!
    Wish I had his other medals.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gallipoli 1915 medallion   Gallipoli 1915 medallion  

Gallipoli 1915 medallion   Gallipoli 1915 medallion  

Gallipoli 1915 medallion  

?

Hey guys. I just got this in the mail. In late 2014 I applied for my great great uncles Gallipoli Medallion. It has taken a long time to be accepted and issued, but it's been worth the wait.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gallipoli 1915 medallion   Gallipoli 1915 medallion  

Gallipoli 1915 medallion  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast