Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

German Bayonet, Canadian Trophy, VIMY RIDGE

Article about: Here is an interesting piece, a German Bayonet of some type that has Vimy Ridge Stamped into it. Now the guy I bought this from I have known for many years, he bought 20 lower grade Bayonets

?

Default German Bayonet, Canadian Trophy, VIMY RIDGE

Here is an interesting piece, a German Bayonet of some type that has Vimy Ridge Stamped into it.
    Now the guy I bought this from I have known for many years, he bought 20 lower grade Bayonets from a supplier and cleaned them up as they were greasy and some had light rust.
    He found Vimy Ridge, 1917 and CEF stamped into this one, he could not see it before cleaning. MY guess is someone brought it back and stamped it, or it was Stamped in France for the tourist trade. The stamping is old, perhaps it was done for the opening of the Vimy Memorial as Many Canadian Veterans attended.. either way I like this sort of thing... just like most trench art, it was probably done as part of a cottage industry started during the Great War

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

German Bayonet, Canadian Trophy, VIMY RIDGEGerman Bayonet, Canadian Trophy, VIMY RIDGEGerman Bayonet, Canadian Trophy, VIMY RIDGEGerman Bayonet, Canadian Trophy, VIMY RIDGE

?

I really have no idea about the stamping on the flashguard, but what I do see is a German ersatz 98/05 (butcher blade) that has been "Turked", or modified by Turkey for their use after WWI. Does the scabbard have a round frog stud and/or sloppy brazing? If so, I would say definitely Turked! Too bad as this would have been a pretty desirable bayo.

Jim