Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Grandfather's 'Cross of Kara George with Crossed Swords'

Article about: My paternal Grandfather had the singular honour to be the only South African to be awarded this medal. His service record dates the award date as 23 December 1916 (gazetted 15 Feb 1917) whil

Default Grandfather's 'Cross of Kara George with Crossed Swords'

My paternal Grandfather had the singular honour to be the only South African to be awarded this medal. His service record dates the award date as 23 December 1916 (gazetted 15 Feb 1917) while he was with the 1st SA Bde recovering in the UK from wounds sustained at Delville Wood and before he transferred to the RFC.

I remember as a youngster admiring his medal group (both WW1 and WW2 awards) and particularly this decoration. I have only recently become aware of the uniqueness of the award to him as also that he spent 108 days in Egypt fighting the Senussi.

Does anyone amongst this august group have any access to/knowledge of Serbian decorations and able to help with research on this award - citation etc.

I have googled the Decoration itself but cannot find any data relevant to my Granfather and the award.

Any help much appreciated.

Default Re: Grandfather's 'Cross of Kara George with Crossed Swords'

Answer found on Great War Forum but many thanks to those who looked in an attempt to help

Regards to all.