Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

great-grandfather WW1 helmet

Article about: Hi, I took this pics in my old family house where my great grandfathers lived. Augusto Tomei, my mother's grandfather was born in 1884 and during the ww1 he served in the Italian army as sur

Default great-grandfather WW1 helmet

Hi, I took this pics in my old family house where my great grandfathers lived.
    Augusto Tomei, my mother's grandfather was born in 1884 and during the ww1 he served in the Italian army as surgeon from 1915 to 1919.
    Augusto Tomei went to the frontline with captain rank of the 78th regiment, 29th division. From 1915 to early months of 1918 he spent his duty in a field hospital, just behind the front. I know all this because of the letters he wrote from the frontline that still are in that house.
    On his letters Augusto rarely speaks about war itself. Sometime he says that he can't sleep and at night and in one letter that he sent after Caporetto defeat he said he thought that Italy was going to lose the war. On that particular letter he said that while he was writing he was seeing at the mountains that just a week before were Italian and now were occuped by the Austrians.
    As I said before my great grandfather was a surgeon and God only knows what he had to see ... he died in 1944 after his son, my grandfather, a Lieutenant of italian paratrooper divison named Folgore, was captured by the germans. As
    Augusto Tomei came back from the war, he brought back his helmet that still in the house, here some pics I took last week. My great grandfather Igreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmetgreat-grandfather WW1 helmet

Default Re: great-grandfather WW1 helmet

That's very cool!!!

Very nice. Do you know what the chevrons on the side of the helmet represent? Is it a rank thing? Cheers.

Yes, one Chevron means 2nd Lt, two chevrons 1st LT and three CPT rank.

?

That is awesome its a bonus when you can match a face with the helmet very cool helmet and great history

?

Very nice family piece.