Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Grenadier Guards Officer's Sword ID

Article about: For some time, I have owned a GeoV Grenadier Guards "picquet" sword, with he initials M.A.P. engraved upon the blade. I just recently decided to try more research, in the hope of f

?

Default Grenadier Guards Officer's Sword ID

For some time, I have owned a GeoV Grenadier Guards "picquet" sword, with he initials M.A.P. engraved upon the blade.
    I just recently decided to try more research, in the hope of finally identifying the owner, when I did a Google search and found Marco Alexander Pallis, a Harrow graduate from a wealthy family of Greek extraction, who is listed as being commissioned into the Grenadiers late in WWI and being wounded. There is even a photo of him ( I think) in GG service uniform.
    However, in the three volume history of the regiment in WWI, there is absolutely NO mention of him, including the list of wounded officers. Thus, my confidence in the ID has diminished considerably.
    Any suggestions or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

BobS

A photo always spices up a post Bob. Who is the sword maker? Wilkinson swords had codes that can identify who it was sold to. Initials alone are difficult, but probably not impossible to identify. Good luck!

?

The sword was made by E.Smith, 5 Boyle St., Savile Row W., # 13709
    I'll Try to post some photos soon.
    Thanks!

MAP
    ?

I think you have the ID of this soldier all wrong........

I'll let you figure out why!

BTW.....I'm of Greek extraction too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ancestry UK has a reference to a Lieutenant Marcos A Pallis who served in the Guards Machine Gun Regiment. Theatre of war shown as Salonika from January 1916 onwards.

Whether or not he is the sword owner is another question.

IF that is him then he had a very interesting life

Marco Pallis - Wikipedia

The “maker” marked on the sword may be a retailer rather than the original manufacturer. A number of military outfitters were supplied by makers such as Wilkinson, Pillin and Mole.
    Sales records for Wilkinson are available from

Wilkinson Sword Archive research facilities

I am not sure about other manufacturers.

Caveat: When I tried to research a sword the Wilkinson records showed the sale to a retailer and made no mention of the final purchaser.

?

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Ancestry UK has a reference to a Lieutenant Marcos A Pallis who served in the Guards Machine Gun Regiment. Theatre of war shown as Salonika from January 1916 onwards.

Whether or not he is the sword owner is another question.

IF that is him then he had a very interesting life

Marco Pallis - Wikipedia

The “maker” marked on the sword may be a retailer rather than the original manufacturer. A number of military outfitters were supplied by makers such as Wilkinson, Pillin and Mole.
    Sales records for Wilkinson are available from

Wilkinson Sword Archive research facilities

I am not sure about other manufacturers.

Caveat: When I tried to research a sword the Wilkinson records showed the sale to a retailer and made no mention of the final purchaser.
    Thanks much.

?

Sword photos:Grenadier Guards Officer's Sword IDGrenadier Guards Officer's Sword IDGrenadier Guards Officer's Sword IDGrenadier Guards Officer's Sword IDGrenadier Guards Officer's Sword ID

MAP
    ?

Looks nice Bob

....still say it's mine with those initials LoL
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)