Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Guards tunic, help identify please!

Article about: Just got this guards tunic, has seen better days, wondering age it is? Any info would be great cheers - - Updated - - Forgot to put, inside has following markings: 2 DG, 3429, 90

Default Guards tunic, help identify please!

Just got this guards tunic, has seen better days, wondering age it is? Any info would be great cheers

- - Updated - -

Forgot to put, inside has following markings: 2 DG, 3429, 90
    Attached Images Attached Images Guards tunic, help identify please! 

Default Re: Guards tunic, help identify please!

Forgot to put markings inside: 2 DG, 3429, 90

Wow, that has certainly been through some kind of war

It's a heavy cavalry tunic from the 2nd Dragoon Guards (The Bays), and I would think, dating from the early 20th Century (c1902-1914). I have an example of this tunic myself, which I can post for comparison.

Rob

Ok, thanks for the info, if you could post yours for comparison that would be great.

?

Who the hell cut off the sleeve, and why?

Regards, Lars

I really couldnt tell you, its not like it could just fall off on its own is it? If it came from the era of horse and musket one could speculate that the owner suffered an amputation during some desperate charge

Still a nice tunic...even with the damage and maybe repairable as long as there is no material lost in the cut area. I think this was maybe used as a tattoo uniform. They were common displays before ww1 in Britain. After the war public interest in displays of military might waned. All sorts of red tunics were used and abused in the tattoos. I have a few tunics marked as being used in tattoos, they have the usual miltary stamps and a tattoo stamp as well. All have damage or have been altered to appear as something they are not.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info, if you could post yours for comparison that would be great.
    This is what your tunic originally looked like:
    Guards tunic, help identify please!Guards tunic, help identify please!
    Guards tunic, help identify please!Guards tunic, help identify please!

It is a standard Heavy Cavalry Tunic with buff facings for the 2nd Dragoon Guards, and white cord decoration (units with facings other than buff had yellow cord). This is the pattern used from 1907 (having metal shoulder titles on the straps). It is missing a button at the waist, which would have been a flat brass button and worn under the waistbelt. The belt hooks are both on the left side, front and back, to support the sword. Buttons are all regimental pattern.

This pattern of jacket is still worn today, most notably by the Lord Strathcona's Horse, a Canadian Army regiment who still maintain a mounted troop and do displays. I have watched them demonstrating tent-pegging and other cavalry horsemanship... quite spectacular

Rob

Nice tunic, thanks for posting. What do you think should be done with it? Sew the arm back on or leave as is?

I don't think you could do any more harm to it by sewing the sleeve back on, depending of course how good your sewing skills are (or if you have a professional do it). It all depends on what you want to do with the tunic. It would make a nice display with its arm back on, a set of General Service buttons and a waistbelt. The only problem would be the shoulder straps...

Rob