Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet, gas mask and boots

Article about: I had to travel for work so didn’t get a chance to view these at a local auction before I left so I put in a bid based on the helmet value alone and this is what I won for \\$60. M17 helmet, i

?

Default Helmet, gas mask and boots

I had to travel for work so didn’t get a chance to view these at a local auction before I left so I put in a bid based on the helmet value alone and this is what I won for $60.

M17 helmet, in good condition, nothing special but always nice to have.

Gas mask and bag, not in great condition because the rubber has hardened over time, but all there. The bag has what looks like a magazine spring fitted in the canister pocket. It looks intentional, is this normal, I was wondering if it was something to help it out of the bag.

A pair of puttees

A pair of 1917 dated trench boots, I’ll open a separate thread on the boots, these are British manufactured I think.

All of the items come from the same person, advertised as belonging to a Lt Kramer, and most items are marked with his name either L P Kramer or Pat Kramer and the gas mask bag has

L Kramer
    Batt C
    339 ??
    AEF
    France

They all came in the same box, addressed to an L P Kramer dated 1948.

I would appreciate it if somebody could help me find some information on him.

Default Re: Helmet, gas mask and boots

for $60 what a bargain ,some really nice items there
    Regards James

A bargain indeed, the Small Box Respirator is actually in quite good shape, bear in mind its nearly 100 years old! The flapper type exhale valves usually become brittle and end up broken off, to see one still attached is quite a rare sight nowadays. The spring that you speak of inside the carrier is for the filter to rest on, it allows air to be easily drawn into the inlet valve on the base of the filter, if there wasn't a spring, the valve would be pressed against the base of the carrier which would make breathing rather difficult I imagine.

Thanks for sharing your find with us, and good luck tracing the history

Danny

?

Very nice helmet they are starting to go up in price now

For $60 you got a great deal.

The boots are British OR's B5 boots. These regularly go for $1500 to $2000+. If you sell in the UK just add a pound sign.

Joe Sweeney

?

Truly a great grouping for 60$!

?

Is the respirator of British production, issued to the AEF ?
    I ask, as the box and tube and also the bag look very similar to the later style of British issue.

... BTW .. an EXCELLENT haul !!

Gary J.

Gary, the respirator shown here is the American model, designated as the "Corrected English Model" or "CEM" as the original American copy of the British Small Box Respirator suffered many flaws, so many in fact that it was reserved for training purposes only. The differences are in the masks component parts, most notably the exhale/inhale assembly and the eyepieces.

Thanks

Danny

Thanks again Danny for the info,I thought it was the KTM mask,fixed eye pieces same filter etc,never knew of this version shown here,nice grouping and whatta find and for that sort of cash too very well done indeed................Jake. `edit,forget what i said about RFK,AT,KT KTM Masks stick with Danny.should have done my homework first before writing!!!!!

?

Thanks for the comments, I'm really pleased with it all, it's nice to have stuff with the 'been there' feeling. Its also the first purchase I've made since I moved to the States a few years ago, and there's nothing like a bargain to get the itch back.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast