Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help needed identifying cartridge

Article about: Hi, Does anyone recognize this cartridge? It's quite large, at about 30mm. To my eye, it looks British, from the WW1 era or perhaps a bit earlier. The headstamp markings are a mystery to me,

Looks like the diameter of the rim is 30mm, and the diameter of the casing a bit smaller (of course). Still, I'd say it's bigger than 25.4mm. Will go back and get an exact measurement.

Help needed identifying cartridge

?

You need to measure the INSIDE DIAMETER of the MOUTH of the casing where the projectile is sticking out....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Your cartrige is a 1 Inch Aiming Rifle cartridge made by MORRIS & Co. with a Mark V Electric Primer Morris Pattern Primer. This would be a Black Powder cartridge and if it was loaded with Cordite it would have a 'Ç' in the headstamp. These cartridges were also reloaded a number of times and a 'dot' was applied for each reload. If it was reloaded by other than the original maker the reloader would apply his mark plus any upgrade mark of primer, powder, case inspector and use (i.e. Naval = N). These were manufactured by B Birmingham Metal & Munitions Co., B & S Bulpitt & Sons, E Eley, K Kynoch, KNMCo Kings Norton Metal Co., M Morris & Co., DAC Dominion Arsenal Canada. Royal Laboratory seemed to have done mostly reloading although they did manufacture the similar 1 Inch Nordenfelt ammunition.
    Les

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2