Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Identification of a lot of WWI badges, buttons, ...

Article about: Perhabs time to upload the second pic from the headgear items? Great forum here btw... I've really learned a lot this last couple of weeks!

Default Re: Identification of a lot of WWI badges, buttons, ...

What an interesting bin full of insignia to sort through! One thing I was wondering, though....you said that you collect "oil barrels"? Just how do you display such a collection??
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    What an interesting bin full of insignia to sort through! One thing I was wondering, though....you said that you collect "oil barrels"? Just how do you display such a collection??
    My collection is stored in the attic, in my garden house, bedroom,... not everything together yet, but I am working on it...

Hey Rob, I would like to upload the pics from the shoulder titles, but I can't upload any pictures any longer... don't know why however... I'll try again later...
    Peter

Quote by COLLECTORWWII View Post
    Hey Rob, I would like to upload the pics from the shoulder titles, but I can't upload any pictures any longer... don't know why however... I'll try again later...
    Peter
    Well keep trying I am standing by with refernces in hand

Rob

Hey Rob,
    it seems I've finally succeeded in uploading the shoulder badge pictures...
    Regards, Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification of a lot of WWI badges, buttons, ...   Identification of a lot of WWI badges, buttons, ...  

Here is the first batch of IDs. I don't know how good your general knowledge about British Army organisation is, and so, if i need to explain any terminology, let me know. I don't want to insult your intelligence by giving you a lecture or anything I have tried to include some info about the units. As these were pickups from actual war zones, it is more likely in the case of TF infantry battalions to be either 1/ or 2/ battalions, as 3/ units were usually reserve units in the UK.

1. Royal Field Artillery (TF). Used by arty units of 55th (West Lancashire) Division and 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division. This was the pre-war title and later on was often replaced with more generic titles, e.g. T|RFA
    2. 10th (Service) Bn, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) (Kent County). This is one of the war-raised "New Army" infantry battalions. Served with 41st Division.
    3. 12th (County of London) Bn, London Regt (The Rangers) Worn by 1/12th and possibly 2/12th and 3/12th Bns. This was the pre-war title, replaced early on by a simpler title T|12|LONDON. As 2/12th ans 3/12th were formed later, they may not have been issued the early title, 1/12th was the pre-war territorial unit.
    4. 4th Bn, South Lancashire Regt (TF). Worn by 1/4th, 2/4th and 3/4th Bns.
    5. 6th Bn, Royal Scots (TF). Used by 1/6th, 2/6th and 3/6th Bns
    6. Same as 1, but broken
    7. 1/1st London Divisional Cyclist Company. This unit was formed in 1916 and disbanded after a few months. This unit didn't see action, so it must have been brought over by a former member of the unit, probably serving with a Bn of the London Regt.
    8. 15th (County of London) Bn (Prince of Wales's Own Civil Service Rifles). This is the later London regt type with just 'LONDON' on the bottom row instead of "County of London" or "City of London". Used by 1/15th, 2/15th and 3/15th Bns
    9. Same as 3
    10. Same as 3
    11. 1/1st Wessex Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (TF). Served in France from April 1916
    12. This one is a bit ususual. The only use of a separate 'M' I can find is by the Motor Section, Machine Gun Corps, with the M being worn over the M.G.C. title (which you also have). This is a tentative ID...
    13. Royal Dublin Fusiliers. This is an officer's title used by all the bns of this regiment

A good place for further research would be The Long, Long Trail. I will work on the rest...

Rob

Most of these are infantry titles, as used by the Regular Army and most of the New Army battalions (as they don't have the territorial Force 'T'). I can't be quite as specific about the exact units therefore.

14. Leicestershire Regiment
    15. South Lancashire Regiment
    16. Welsh Regiment
    17. Bedfordshire Regiment
    18. East Lancashire Regiment
    19. King's Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry). This is part of a two-piece title having a separate bugle above it. You actually have the upper bugle badge, which i have circled in the pic below.
    20. King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
    21. Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians). An Irish regiment not a Canadian one, of course!
    22. New Zealand Rifle Brigade. There were four battalions of this regt. All fought with the New Zealand Division
    23. Cheshire Regiment
    24. King's (Liverpool Regiment)
    25. London Regiment (TF). This is a generic title for the London Regt, omitting the battalion number. They were often worn on the greatcoat, but also on SD jackets.
    26. Same as 24
    27. Same as 22
    28. (Prince of Wales' Own) West Yorkshire Regiment
    29. This is definitely Manchester Regiment, but I have only seen this unvoided type worn by Territorial units, usually with T|6, T|7, T|8 or T|10 attached. Probably should take a closer look at this one
    30. Anson Battalion, 63rd (Royal Naval) Division. This was an infantry battalion made up of Royal Navy personnel which formed part of the Royal Naval Division. There were several bns all named after famous Admirals, plus bns of the Royal Marines Light Infantry.
    31. Devonshire Regiment
    32. York and Lancaster Regiment
    33. Same as 31

The other part of title 19.

Rob

34. 124th (Governor General's Body Guard) Overseas Battalion, Canadian Infantry. This unit was turned into 124th Canadian Pioneer Battalion, and served with 4th Canadian Division. It's War Diary is available online here:
    35. Canadian Garrison Artillery
    36. A broken piece of a title, probably the 'C' from ASC (Army Service Corps)
    37. Rifle Brigade. The British unit, but should be blackened, like the New Zealand RB in the second pic
    38. Same as 37
    39. Worcestershire Regiment
    40. Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment). This is another two-piece title, this time with a flaming grenade badge above it. I can't see it in your box, but it is a simple plain brass grenade with flames.
    41. 20th (County of London) Bn, London Regt (Blackheath and Woolwich). Either broken and missing it's 'T' on top, or designed to have a separate 'T' badge.
    42. 14th (Royal Montreal Regt) Overseas Battalion, Canadian Infantry. Served in 1st Canadian Division. This was originally designed as a shoulder title, but was later used as a collar badge instead.
    43. Royal Garrison Artillery
    44. Northumberland Fusiliers
    45. Machine Gun Corps
    46. Same as 37 and 38
    47. Probably a broken RGA similar to 43
    48. Not 100% sure. It could be a 8th Canadian Infantry Bn, or a piece from a British multi-piece title.

Rob

Rob, awesome work your doing.. It's really great!

Hey Rob,

THANKS A LOT !!! YOU'RE THE BEST !!

Peter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast