Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers

Article about: Hi all. Thought i'd show my latest medal acquisition. India General Service Medal (1908) with Waziristan 1921- 24 clasp. It is named to 1665547 Fsr. W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers. It

Default India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers

Hi all. Thought i'd show my latest medal acquisition. India General Service Medal (1908) with Waziristan 1921- 24 clasp. It is named to 1665547 Fsr. W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers. It seems from his medal index card that this was William Blundell's only medal entitlement so I am quite pleased that it is not part of a broken group. I was lucky that he initially enlisted in the Royal Artillery as there was an attestation form available which shows he was quickly transferred to the RWF. Interestingly during the years 1917- 1918 it seems the he served with the Lancashire Regiment Volunteers. Info is scant but it seems that these were a few "home guard" style battalions, but I am looking for more information on this. I am also searching for more information on the RWF in Waziristan, again very little info out there it seems. Any feedback is welcome. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers   India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers  

India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers   India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers  

India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers   India General Service Medal To W. F. Blundell, Royal Welch Fusiliers  

A slightly battered but excellent medal to get. The regimental records probably contain some info on the period, but not much if I remember correctly.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I had a quick look and it was the 1st Bn that were in Waziristan but apart from the Makin operation in what is now Pakistan where 4 MM's were won and the fact the Bn was based at Lucknow, the Regimental records are very sparse on this period.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the info Jerry. More than I could find. It certainly has been knocked about a bit but the price reflected that and was good IMO considering it is to a British line regiment as opposed to a native unit or corps.

Looks like that medal has been polished a good few times. Waziristan in the 1920's was a wild outpost of the British Empire. Pretty wild and lawless place today as well.