Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting Medal Pair

Article about: Hi Happy New Year! Yesterday I brought a rather interesting British War Medal and Victory Medal named to 35332 Pte G F Hester East Kent Regiment, on Ebay. After doing some research on Ancest

Default Interesting Medal Pair

Hi

Happy New Year!

Yesterday I brought a rather interesting British War Medal and Victory Medal named to 35332 Pte G F Hester East Kent Regiment, on Ebay.
    After doing some research on Ancestry, it turns out that this gentleman joined the Rifle Brigade in 1916 saying he was born in 1897, but it was soon realized that he was only 16 (born 1900). So obviously he was discharged and when he reached the legal recruitment age, he re-joined the army but with a different regiment. I have attached his files etc, if any one is interested.

Many Thanks

Cameron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Medal Pair   Interesting Medal Pair  

Interesting Medal Pair   Interesting Medal Pair  

Interesting Medal Pair   Interesting Medal Pair  

Interesting Medal Pair  
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting Medal Pair 

Default Re: Interesting Medal Pair

Good pick up Cameron with an interesting history from your local area.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A very interesting pair,it always amazes me how eager some of our young boys were to get themselves killed.That said though,the levels of poverty in GT BRITAIN at the time were so high that for many poor souls it was the best way to get fed each day.

Hi

Thank you guys!

Jerry: Its certainly is.

FALLSCHIRMJAGER: Not forgetting the stigma and ridicule attached to those who were not yet serving (even though they might not have been old enough to join up). And of course, in many cases the overwhelming sense of duty.

I would be most grateful if someone could find which Battalions he served in. East Kent Regiment and The Queens Regiment if possible.

Many Thanks

Cameron

It also has to be remembered that the British forces were all volunteer until well into the war (the Australian Imperial Force was so throughout)-and the RN took them in as 'Boys' at 14-see Boy Cornwell VC at Jutland-as mentioned poverty was endemic and people's growth was stunted by it-telling a 16 or 18 year old apart wasn't easy when the manpower was needed urgently.