Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

John Ferguson, R.N.V.R

Article about: John Ferguson was born on October 2nd, 1890. The 5'4 blue eyed boy landed himself in the Tyneside Division and served on a number of different ships. The RSD, Victory IX and Victory I and th

Default John Ferguson, R.N.V.R

John Ferguson was born on October 2nd, 1890. The 5'4 blue eyed boy landed himself in the Tyneside Division and served on a number of different ships. The RSD, Victory IX and Victory I and the Queen. on September 8th 1915, he was involved in an engagement but his records don't indicate what. John unfortunately suffered from epilepsy and was discharged June 6th 1918. He was awarded the War Badge. sadly i do not own it, but thanks to a pen pal i own a copy of the record.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture John Ferguson, R.N.V.R   John Ferguson, R.N.V.R  

John Ferguson, R.N.V.R   John Ferguson, R.N.V.R  

Default re: John Ferguson, R.N.V.R

Thanks for posting this.

However, I think you have made some mistakes in reading his records.

Date of engagement was not an action, but when he enlisted, hence the personal details at the side of this entry.

Tyneside Division was the geographical area in enlisted in. Hence the (T) Z prefix to his serial number. (RNVR Divisions: Bristol, Clyde, London, Mersey, Sussex, Tyneside and Wales)

"RSD" is actually RND, Royal Naval Division.

I think you will find that some of the entries are for "Shore Establishments" (land based training bases) and not actual ships. For instance:

HMS Victory - Flagship Portsmouth & barracks 1840 - 1974
    HMS Victory II - Crystal Palace - Training depot RN Divs 1914-19
    HMS Victory III - Portsmouth Accounting Sec 1914-17
    HMS Victory IV - London/Portsmouth/Petersfield RNR 1914-17
    HMS Victory VI - Crystal Palace depot for RNR & RN Divs 1914-19
    HMS Victory VII - Portland auxiliary patrol depot 1915
    HMS Victory IX - Reserves Portsmouth 1915-16
    HMS Victory X - Portsmouth accounting section 1917-19

I hope I have pointed you in the right direction for more research?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default re: John Ferguson, R.N.V.R

I have done some more research for you on Able Seaman John Ferguson.

Here is his RN Medal Roll entry. He was also awarded the British War Medal. I have cropped his entry in detail.

Hope this is of interest?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture John Ferguson, R.N.V.R   John Ferguson, R.N.V.R  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: John Ferguson, R.N.V.R

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I think you will find that some of the entries are for "Shore Establishments" (land based training bases) and not actual ships.
    Agreed. These are what, in Royal Navy vernacular are referred to as "Stone Frigates".

Rob

thank you for this plethora of information boys. and yes it now makes more sence why i could never find any thing on them being actual ships. correct me if Im wrong but where it says medals earned "v" stands for victory medal and so on and so forth?

Yes, that is correct. 1914/15 Star in the first column, then Victory, then British War Medal.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian, thank you for everything. If only we knew where his War Medal and Badge were.

Yes, always a pity when groups get broken up over the years.

My pleasure to try and help.

Cheers, Ade.