Article about: What dagger ?

CBH
    ?

Default Re: Junk shop Medal !

What dagger ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    What dagger ?

Hmmmm.... The dagger in your story, about three posts above mine?

CBH
    ?

Oh yes , well he came through with the badges and money so I'll have to give him that . And I even mailed him the medal before his stuff arrived , so I guess there is still some trust left in this world . Sorry I didn't get your post at first . And maybe your right . Anyhow the medal is back with the family who earned it . So it all worked out in the end .
    Cheers

Medals to Newfoundlanders are rated amongst the most desirable and thus expensive WW1 CEF medals to acquire. I hope your pal provided proof it was his Great-Grandfather's otherwise the deal may not be quite as good as you think.

On the other hand, if you're happy with the deal, it doesn't really matter. Good result for $5, regardless.

CBH
    ?

Well , if he was making up the story about his great grandfather . He did it well .We come from the same small town on the East Coast , so I think it has a good chance to be his relative , I hope so anyhow . He also said he wanted it to give to his father . So I can only hope his story is true . I'll see what happen with the remaining items , a Cadpat coat is around a 75/100$ item and a ranger blanket 25$ . So if he comes through with that , I'll be happy . But now you have me worried ! Half the replies at first wanted me to give him it for free ! Skypilot what would you value this medal at ?
    Cheers Chris

Chris,

Please don't think I am saying with any certainty that he has pulled a fast one - probably not. It would indeed be a fantastic story to reunite the medal with the family and I genuinely hope that will happen. No need to be worried either.

I have seen a lot of dodgy deals done though where unscrupulous collectors have claimed to be related to the recipient of a particularly desirable medal and thus tugged on the heartstrings in order to obtain a medal that may well not have been for sale etc. or to get it at a favourable rate. As I said, it is my naturally cynical nature - not neccessarily a good thing!

If you can either post here or PM me the full naming details, I shall see what I can find and let you know all I can. On face value, the swap may be reasonable but I still suggest it pays to check first. I do not collect medals to Canadians per se so there is no angle from my point of view - unless it turns out he's from the Isle of Man!!!

Of course, it is your medal to do with as you see fit. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business!

CBH
    ?

I wouldn't tell you to mind your own business , quite the contrary . I was glad to hear your views on the medal . And I also am cynical , and understand your view totally . I held out for as long as I could , maybe I'm getting soft .
    Here are the Details #469706 PTE. W. Strickland . 26-CAN.INF ( said to be from Rose Blanche NFLD )
    The dye is cast , but I'd still like to know . But don't put yourself .
    Thanks for the interest .
    Cheers Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2