Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Killed In Action Pair

Article about: Hi Cameron, actually all is not lost. See the medal card index: next to each award is the reference number to the MEDAL ROLL index. These are separate files and are not online, but can be fo

Default Re: Killed In Action Pair

Hi Cameron, actually all is not lost.

See the medal card index: next to each award is the reference number to the MEDAL ROLL index. These are separate files and are not online, but can be found at the National Archive at Kew, London. These can be viewed in person, or better still, pay a researcher to pull the files for you. The medal rolls were complied at Regimental level and these will give you his Battl.

However, bigger units, like the RA, RE etc will often not have the details in place. Like all written records, they are only as good as the person who writes them up. I did this research on my Grandad's medal roll index through a reseacher and it cost under £15 to research two entries, which gave me photocopies of the two pages. As my Grandad was RA sadly the details to his exact unit were not included.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Cameron, actually all is not lost.

See the medal card index: next to each award is the reference number to the MEDAL ROLL index. These are separate files and are not online, but can be found at the National Archive at Kew, London. These can be viewed in person, or better still, pay a researcher to pull the files for you. The medal rolls were complied at Regimental level and these will give you his Battl.

However, bigger units, like the RA, RE etc will often not have the details in place. Like all written records, they are only as good as the person who writes them up. I did this research on my Grandad's medal roll index through a reseacher and it cost under £15 to research two entries, which gave me photocopies of the two pages. As my Grandad was RA sadly the details to his exact unit were not included.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi

I stand corrected.

I am heading up to the National Archives soon to research some family medals so I might be able to have a look while I am there.

Cameron

Ade, does a 'Medal Roll' contain the same info as index cards
    - another way to record medals that were issued ?

( I have a couple pages from the 'London Gazette' that
    I found on-line which show a listing and location for a
    Military Medal that I have - Can't remember if I had
    to pay or not - I don't know what the fellow did
    to earn it.........! )
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, this is what they contain, here are the pages with my Grandad's entries.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Killed In Action Pair   Killed In Action Pair  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade. First time I've seen one.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3