Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Leather thickness used in Sam Browne revolver ammo pouches

Article about: Hi! Could you please help? I need to know the thickness (or weight) of ammo pouch like one from this article: Pouch-Ammunition-455 Revolver I started a simple weekend project of making a pou

Post Leather thickness used in Sam Browne revolver ammo pouches

Hi!
    Could you please help? I need to know the thickness (or weight) of ammo pouch like one from this article:
    Pouch-Ammunition-455 Revolver

I started a simple weekend project of making a pouch replica for my friend, but then I decided to make a good replica. This is not a commercial project, just for fun.
    If you have any pictures of pouch details, please post.

Greetings from Poland,
    Tom

CBH
    ?

I would think it full grain type used for belts , it would full thickness of the cowhide I'd think .

Looks very similar to the Victorian Era cartridge pouches , different fastener set up .

Good luck .

Thanks Chris! It is full grain for sure. I try to recreate how it was treated, from meager resources it seems

Uh, sorry, it seems that the following simple treatment was used - applying neatsfoot oil and then rag buffing. Finally, applying carnauba cream to protect against water. Dark appearance of contemporary items is caused by time. Pouches and belts were light, when new.

After some research, I found that there is a multitude of belt and attachment designs and colours. It seems that most popular were dark brown belts and pouches. The pouches were with one button hole or two. I could not find any info on leather, but I suppose that it was full grain, 5-6 ounces vegetable tanned and appropriately dyed leather. There are some black belts, reddish belts, and some tan belts and pouches, as in the article from top post.

CBH
    ?

Here are a few of my belts and bandoleers and a holster for some colour choices .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Leather thickness used in Sam Browne revolver ammo pouches   Leather thickness used in Sam Browne revolver ammo pouches  

Impressive - thanks a lot!

So, the first version is ready - have a look, if you wish. Comments welcome!!

There is a pattern in PDF file, in the picture I tried to depict the way I approached the design. The English point at the end of the belt is square, because there are stamps to make it, no need to draw it here.

sam3-drawing.pdf

Leather thickness used in Sam Browne revolver ammo pouches

I applied a lot of imagination to the narrowest part of the transition from the back to flap. I have yet to see a picture of open pouch, lying flat.

Greetings,
    Tom
    Last edited by Tomdraug; 02-09-2017 at 12:36 AM.

I have two of these pouches, along with the same Officers Sam Brown etc coming up for auction at work next month. Served as a Lt and ended his Army career as a Brigadier.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Dear Adrian

This is good news - could you make picture of the open pouch, lying flat, face up on the table? Please keep the camera parallel to the table.

I will be very very grateful for this picture.

Greetings,
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast