Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Light Horse photographs

Article about: Superb photographs please post more if possible.

piw
    ?

Superb photographs please post more if possible.

Quote by piw View Post
    Superb photographs please post more if possible.
    + 1 A pleasure too look at
    Thanks for sharing mate !

This photo might be of interest to those in the UK. It's a postcard sent home from Boulac Convalescent Depot, Cairo, in August, 1918, showing a mixture of British and Australian troops.

Light Horse photographs

The reverse reads:

" Dear Nell,
    This is a picture of a few of us at mail time at Boulac Convalescent Depot. I suppose you will easily be able to pick me out. All mixed up here, Tommies and chaps from all parts of Aus. Remember me to all over the way when you see them.
    Love from your affectionate brother,
    Fred. "
    Last edited by willie45; 12-29-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Willie, after chatting with a learned friend in the UK (Mike H) your line of Albions (a pic which has also appeared in a period journal) it would appear to be 1011 Company ASC ( also known as the 81st Aux. Petrol Coy.) and according to Michael Young's book on the ASC they were raised in Sep. 1917 and disbanded in 1919. The "Army Mark" on the side of the first lorry is a clock face with the hands at 10 minutes to eleven. Appears there is an extra number which would relate to vehicle numbering and not the sign. Your images are certainly in good nick given their age. Thanks for sharing. Rod

Almost forgot, if you do a trawl through the QLD State Library site there is a nice pic of a 5th LH motorcycle and rider in Egypt. The marking is on the front guard and as it obviously identified the Unit it was short lived as a Brit. edict came out in 1915 laying down the rules for such markings. Also for those interested I correspond with a chap in Newcastle who has spent a number of years doing his second WW1 book which is colourised. WIP web site address is WWI Colour | World War I Australian Soldiers in Colour | WWI Images, Stories, Prints Rod

Quote by Hawkeye View Post
    Willie, after chatting with a learned friend in the UK (Mike H) your line of Albions (a pic which has also appeared in a period journal) it would appear to be 1011 Company ASC ( also known as the 81st Aux. Petrol Coy.) and according to Michael Young's book on the ASC they were raised in Sep. 1917 and disbanded in 1919. The "Army Mark" on the side of the first lorry is a clock face with the hands at 10 minutes to eleven. Appears there is an extra number which would relate to vehicle numbering and not the sign. Your images are certainly in good nick given their age. Thanks for sharing. Rod
    Thanks for that information, Rod, much appreciated. I passed the photo on to a friend in the vintage vehicle field some time ago, but hadn't as yet found out anything more about them.

The one in this photo has some markings and a number on the bonnet which is a bit hard to read.

Light Horse photographs

Cheers, Willie

4md
    ?

Some great shots Willie, thanks for posting them, my great grandfather was in the 9th light horse and later joined the camel corp as well

regards Paul

Quote by willie45 View Post

Bit of a mix here. Looks like British Infantry in the foreground with Light Horse troops forward and a camel unit traversing the ridge.

Attachment 618486
    From the armbands there looks to be some signals troops at front left. They look to be white over blue.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 12-30-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    From the armbands there looks to be some signals troops at front left.
    Thanks Jerry. Any information like that helps turn a picture into a story.

This is a group of Officers of the 5th. Light Horse Regiment, 2nd. Brigade.

Light Horse photographs

In this photo, the 5th. Light Horse collar/hat badge, the 'Q' with a boomerang, is more visible on the officer's collar. He appears to have his pips removed, along with a couple of other chaps in the photo above.

Light Horse photographs

Interesting about the removed rank insignia, not sure why he has done that. Great pictures, wonderful to see them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast