Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Light Horse photographs

Article about: Superb photographs please post more if possible.

Very cool! Awesome history there

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Interesting about the removed rank insignia, not sure why he has done that. Great pictures, wonderful to see them.
    Maybe he/they didnt want more shiny things to attract neither the sun nor the attention of sharpshooters...

Some sharpshooters were smart enough to pick out the officers.

Quote by Scout View Post
    Maybe he/they didnt want more shiny things to attract neither the sun nor the attention of sharpshooters...

Which is why the British switched from cuff rank tunics to shoulder rank, also they started to wear OR's tunics, carry rifles instead of pistols and canes and stop wearing breeches, though I have never heard of them removing their rank stars from the shoulder straps, though anything might have been possible.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Scout View Post

You might be right about reflections from the pips, Scout. They'd probably be able to see the glint from a fair way off. If they were close enough to physically see the pips, they'd be able to spot other give-aways for sure. My guess is that it might have been policy in the field to make the wearing of rank voluntary.

Looking at this photo of a couple of NCO's, the only difference in the tunics seems to be the cut of the pockets, lapels for the officers, as well as wearing ties and shoulder belts.
    Cheers, Willie.

Light Horse photographs

Quote by willie45 View Post
    lapels for the officers, as well as wearing ties and shoulder belts.
    Cheers, Willie.
    The collars and ties would be easier to spot than the rank insignia I think, also the OR's would probably have worn brass unit shoulder titles which are just as likely to glint in the sun, which I notice the officer did not remove.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The collars and ties would be easier to spot than the rank insignia I think, also the OR's would probably have worn brass unit shoulder titles which are just as likely to glint in the sun, which I notice the officer did not remove.
    Looking at various photos, it looks like some wore the shoulder GS badge and others wore none.
    In this photo, the bloke on the right doesn't seem to be wearing them.
    Just as a side note, I just realized this is in the WW2 section - need new glasses.
    Too late to move it now, I suppose.
    Cheers, Willie.

Light Horse photographs

I moved it for you Willie. I had noticed it was in the WWII section, history and research and thought you wanted it there because of the nature of the thread, but WWI is more appropriate after all.
    Regards,

Jerry

Alot of great history here Willie!!..thanks for posting. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

The Walers all look to be fairly lean; most are showing a bit of rib. Some of them are reminiscent of Brumbies.

Light Horse photographs

Many of these photos are not named, so the locations are mostly guesswork. This group could be on a beach, but more likely a riverbank. Possibly Cairo or somewhere in the Holylands.

Light Horse photographs

Willie, best to you and other forum members for the new year. Nice little image. Lorry is a Daimler I believe. The bonnet marking is the vehicles census number for the Theatre of operations and it consists of an 'L' prefix followed by the WD Broad Arrow followed by the actual number allocated to the vehicle when it arrived in the EEF. Army mark pending!! May be wrong but it could be the lighter 30cwt model. Rod

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast