MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Light Horse photographs

Article about: Superb photographs please post more if possible.

Quote by Hawkeye View Post
    Willie, best to you and other forum members for the new year. Nice little image. Lorry is a Daimler I believe. The bonnet marking is the vehicles census number for the Theatre of operations and it consists of an 'L' prefix followed by the WD Broad Arrow followed by the actual number allocated to the vehicle when it arrived in the EEF. Army mark pending!! May be wrong but it could be the lighter 30cwt model. Rod
    Thanks, Rod. I've only got a couple more depicting trucks.
    Not quite sure what's goiing on in the first one, there's blokes climbing all over the truck.

Light Horse photographs

This one has a line of trucks pulled up on the road with a Light Horseman and packhorse passing by.

Light Horse photographs

It's possible the trucks might be stuck like this vehicle. It looks to be in the same area.

Light Horse photographs

All the best in 2014.
    Cheers, Willie.

Quote by willie45 View Post
    Thanks Jerry. Any information like that helps turn a picture into a story.

This is a group of Officers of the 5th. Light Horse Regiment, 2nd. Brigade.

Attachment 620002

In this photo, the 5th. Light Horse collar/hat badge, the 'Q' with a boomerang, is more visible on the officer's collar. He appears to have his pips removed, along with a couple of other chaps in the photo above.

[seATTACH=CONFIG]620003[/ATTACH]
    Hi Gents,
    These two photo's are post late 1916 I believe as this was when the 5th LH insignia were first issued.
    The only officer in this group with out rank insignia is the one in second image, second right rear in first image. If you look at his ep's you will notice 3 groups of four holes in a diamond formation, custom made 4 pin pips?. He's also the only one in the group with a ribbon bar. Maybe this gentleman has recently been promoted from Captain to Major and his crowns have not yet been issued or arrived for issue hence no rank insignia. The images appear to be of a Officers social outing so one would think it would have been of an informal nature.

Their great images Willie.
    Have a great new year mate

Cheers
    Dave

Here's a one of my collection.

Quote by Kenworth View Post
    Here's a one of my collection.
    Its out of a WW1 dated Argus newspaper

The ribbon looks as if could be for the MC and if so this gent could possibly be Major E S James MC OBE.
    James was the units Veterinary Officer and left Australia a Captain. Maybe these photo's are a celebration of his promotion (no rank insignia and the sets of holes in the ep's) and possibly a "good by outing" as Captain was the highest rank he obtained in the 5th LHR. An "original leaving the unit would warrant an outing and a photo or two one would think.
    I can't find another image of James and only worked off text so this theory can't really be proven but if the ribbon is an MC this gent is the only Captain come Major awarded this decoration in the units war time history.
    Here's a list of 5th LHR Officers 1914-19 with a unit history.

History of the 5th Light Horse Regiment, AIF 1914 - 1919

Possible.

Dave

Willie, again some unique and interesting MT images. Unfortunately at a distance (except for the last) and not much to be said accordingly. The Desert Mounted Corps is an interesting set up as far as MT is concerned. I spent a few years researching same for my book on the subject. Unlike the Western Front where most of the AIF Divisional and later Corps Transport was manned by Australians, in the EEF we relied mainly on Brit. ASC Units however in each of the HQ and LH units there was a core of AIF operated MT. I used a few images relating to that source from the AWM. More work required on the topic. Your third image of what could be loosely termed a composite vehicle is indeed interesting. Have not seen one before and I will see if any contacts have an idea as to its origin. On another matter discussed earlier in the thread regarding embellishments worn on uniforms all field issue metal uniform items in the AIF should have been black oxidised in the first place therefore there should not have been a 'shine' problem' . There are many examples of same but in the interest of brevity the attached image of period mint items held by the State Library of NSW illustrates original examples which are plainly black etc. Regards.... Rod
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Light Horse photographs  

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Hi Gents,
    These two photo's are post late 1916 I believe as this was when the 5th LH insignia were first issued.
    The only officer in this group with out rank insignia is the one in second image, second right rear in first image. If you look at his ep's you will notice 3 groups of four holes in a diamond formation, custom made 4 pin pips?. He's also the only one in the group with a ribbon bar. Maybe this gentleman has recently been promoted from Captain to Major and his crowns have not yet been issued or arrived for issue hence no rank insignia. The images appear to be of a Officers social outing so one would think it would have been of an informal nature.
    Thanks for the info, Dave. I haven't been able as yet to identify the location where they were posing for the photos. I have a few taken at the same place, where the 5th. LH was camped near a large body of water.

Here's that same officer out in front of what looks to be two Troops. My guess is that he was a Captain or Major.

Light Horse photographs

Same location.

Light Horse photographs

This one's fairly scratchy, it's just a camp photo at the same place.

Light Horse photographs

Cheers, Willie.

These are fantastic photos gents, really interesting and great to see! Thanks for posting them.

I'm not sure if it's the done thing to post the same photo twice, but I've identified one of the officers in the group photo. The gent in the centre of the back row (with moustache) is Lieutenant Colonel Murray Bourchier, CO of the 4th. Light Regiment, later Brigadier Sir Murray Bourchier and Deputy Premier of Victoria.

Light Horse photographs

There appears to be three officers without 5th. Light Horse collar badges. The officer, back row 2nd. left is wearing none; Lieutenant Colonel Bourchier appears to be wearing Commonwealth badges, as well as the officer, front row on the right. The latter could be Lieutenant Colonel Lachlan Wilson, CO of the 5th. LH Regiment, but it's hard to tell. If it is him, the photos would be pre 27/10/1917 when he was appointed CO of the 3rd. Brigade. Logic tells me that if the CO of the 4th. LH wandered over to pose for a photo with officers of the 5th. LH, the CO of the 5th. would be there as well. It looks a bit like him.
    I'll have to do some research.

Cheers, Willie.

?

Quote by willie45 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the done thing to post the same photo twice.......................

Cheers, Willie.
    Just my opinion, but in this case, as you identified persons in pic, I find it perfectly valid to post same pic again.
    In this instance, it saves members the hassle of scrolling back to the original posting of the pic to fit ID to a person in a pic.
    But thanks for mentioning it - very considerate IMO.
    Few things more annoying on a forum, than when people quote a post sometimes with multiple pics in it.
    On occasion, the same post with say ten pics in it can be repeated numerous times by different people.
    One seem to scroll endlessly past the same pics over and over again.
    Pure undiluted lazyness and inconsiderate to boot (no, Im not having a sXXt fit, ........just saying).
    I say, delete numerous pics in quoted posts and keep the text.
    Again, just my opinion and we all know, that opnions are like a certain part of ones anatomy; everyone has one.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast