Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Light Horse photographs

Article about: Superb photographs please post more if possible.

Quote by Scout View Post
    One seem to scroll endlessly past the same pics over and over again.
    Pure undiluted lazyness and inconsiderate to boot
    But as you mention we all have one and maybe mine on this matter is not going to be appreciated by all on here.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 01-03-2014 at 12:39 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Scout View Post
    I say, delete numerous pics in quoted posts and keep the text.
    I guess some people don't realize that it can be done. The way I do it is to left click/highlight the unwanted text or image (attach-xxx), then right click on the highlighted area and select delete. As long as the 'quote' section and it's brackets aren't deleted, it works fine. Are there any other ways to do it. Maybe a sticky in the 'how to' section about it.
    Cheers, Willie.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    The ribbon looks as if could be for the MC and if so this gent could possibly be Major E S James MC OBE.
    James was the units Veterinary Officer and left Australia a Captain. Maybe these photo's are a celebration of his promotion (no rank insignia and the sets of holes in the ep's) and possibly a "good by outing" as Captain was the highest rank he obtained in the 5th LHR. An "original leaving the unit would warrant an outing and a photo or two one would think.
    I can't find another image of James and only worked off text so this theory can't really be proven but if the ribbon is an MC this gent is the only Captain come Major awarded this decoration in the units war time history.
    Here's a list of 5th LHR Officers 1914-19 with a unit history.

History of the 5th Light Horse Regiment, AIF 1914 - 1919

Possible.

Dave
    Found him.
    Major John M Boyd MC.
    From left rear rank no. 4

Light Horse photographs
    l=http://alh-research.tripod.com/Light_Horse/index.blog/1875922/5th-lhr-aif-account-about-the-battle-of-romani/]Australian Light Horse Studies Centre[/url]

He was my second choice but ruled him out over James. Got a little
    to carried away, which I do at times.
    Boyd was awarded his MC in July 1918 as a Captain so one could assume the two photo's are post this date. The text I was using doesn't give any indication of when Boyd was promoted to Major. I feel the two images were taken at this time maybe in Jordan or Egypt.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Last edited by Thanatos; 01-03-2014 at 02:15 AM. Reason: mORE TEXT and correct image

The Regiment was camped on the shores of the Sea of Galilee (Lake Tiberias) around the 14th of Nov. 1918. This is in the Jordan Valley. The terrain looks similar.

Light Horse photographs

Light Horse photographs

Cheers
    Dave

I've post this one before I hope it's OK to post here? - well I am anyway --one I found in a cotton field barn up north Moree, NSW when I was a kid.

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    Found him.
    Major John M Boyd MC.
    Boyd was awarded his MC in July 1918 as a Captain so one could assume the two photo's are post this date. The text I was using doesn't give any indication of when Boyd was promoted to Major. I feel the two images were taken at this time maybe in Jordan or Egypt.
    Thanks, Dave.
    I looked up his records in the National Archives; interesting to note he came up through the ranks from Private.
    It lists a promotion to Temporary Major on 17.9.18, awarded MC 25.7.18, promoted to Major 10.4.19.

The citation reads,
    'Captain John McClelland Boyd.
    For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.
    When the enemy were endevouring to occupy some high ground overlooking three of our posts, he observed for and directed the fire of our guns against them. This caused the enemy to withdraw, and he then sent out a party to keep touch, covering their advance with accurate fire. Throughout the operation he showed coolness and initiative.'

From the info you've supplied, Dave, and referencing my Great Uncle's copy of the 5th Light Horse history, witten by former CO Wilson, I'm fairly confident these photos were taken when they were camped at Lake Tiberius (Sea of Galilee) from 14th November 1918 to the end of Februrary, 1919. They moved there after the surrender at Ziza and were winding down before returning to Australia, before the Egyptian revolt. That would explain the relaxed atmosphere. It looks a lot like modern images of Lake Tiberius, so I'd guess that's it, as it is a significent body of water.

A possible explanation for John Boyd's lack of rank insignia, is that at that time he had a promotion as Temporary Major, but hadn't yet been promoted to Major. Just a theory.

Light Horse photographs

Cheers, Willie.

An excellent outcome Willie.

?

This is a great forum and a pleasent place with few 'stones in the forum shoe.' I hope it stays that way i.e. a nice place (a few rough spots can seemingly never be avoided with so many members).
    Last edited by Jerry B; 01-03-2014 at 12:38 PM.

?

Quote by willie45 View Post
    I guess some people don't realize that it can be done.
    I agree. Some dont realize. Others are just indifferent and lazy.

Quote by willie45 View Post
    The way I do it is to left click/highlight the unwanted text or image (attach-xxx), then right click on the highlighted area and select delete. As long as the 'quote' section and it's brackets aren't deleted, it works fine. Are there any other ways to do it. Maybe a sticky in the 'how to' section about it.
    Cheers, Willie.
    Either delete it like you do or place the marker either behind or in front of where the brackets saying 'attach' are surrounding numbers and move the marker using the arrows thus deleting both brackets and numbers i.e. attached pics.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I've post this one before I hope it's OK to post here? - well I am anyway --one I found in a cotton field barn up north Moree, NSW when I was a kid.
    A super post card and a great find. Thanks for posting it.

As you say, a great forum and in the main peopled with great contributors.

Back to the matter in hand, wonderful to see all these rare photo's for the Light Horse and the interesting discussion about them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast