Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Light Horse photographs

Article about: Superb photographs please post more if possible.

Hi Rene/Willie,

See my post No. 63 for the soldier on the postcard info. He was a DCM winner:

WWI period postcards

Cheers, Tom

Quote by thorne83 View Post
    Hi Rene/Willie,

See my post No. 63 for the soldier on the postcard info. He was a DCM winner:

WWI period postcards

Cheers, Tom
    Thanks Tom, that clears up the confusion. I was reading the name on the postcard as 'London' instead of 'Loudon', so that's why I couldn't find him.
    Interesting to see two servicemen issued with the same service number. I wonder how often that occurred.

Cheers, Willie.

Willie again a very nice image of the Holt caterpillar with the 2 trailers and again courtesy of my friend Mike in the UK the Unit is 895 Company ASC. The Army Mark for that Unit is a moth caterpillar which I believe I can just make out on the sides of the trailers. It would be approx .5M long and painted white on the existing service colour of the vehicle. Can you make out any alpha prefix before the broad arrow on the 2 Census numbers you say you can identify. I used an image from the AWM in my book which has 6 Holts with trailers full of AIF Engineer stores lined up in the desert prior to Beersheba. The caterpillar marking is clear on the closest vehicles also. Rod

AIF
    ?

Fantastic pictures mate thanks for sharing!!

Quote by Hawkeye View Post
    Willie again a very nice image of the Holt caterpillar with the 2 trailers and again courtesy of my friend Mike in the UK the Unit is 895 Company ASC. The Army Mark for that Unit is a moth caterpillar which I believe I can just make out on the sides of the trailers. It would be approx .5M long and painted white on the existing service colour of the vehicle. Can you make out any alpha prefix before the broad arrow on the 2 Census numbers you say you can identify. I used an image from the AWM in my book which has 6 Holts with trailers full of AIF Engineer stores lined up in the desert prior to Beersheba. The caterpillar marking is clear on the closest vehicles also. Rod
    Thanks again, Rod. I can't make out the prefix on the leading trailer; it's obscured by the rear of the Holt. The number on the front of the Holt doesn't appear to have any prfeix at all.

Cheers,Willie.

Here's a photo of the HMS M1, possibly at a port in Egypt.
    It seems to be the star attraction, drawing a big crowd on the wharf.

Light Horse photographs

Cheers, Willie.

Willie a bit of a coincidence. I have a front on view of what I believe is the same sub taken in the harbour at Malta. Note on the back has the gun at 12inch which if correct would have made quite an impression on the crew members when it was fired. Charlie may have something to add when he re-visits. Pic was amongst a group of images relating to the troopships Himalaya and Rowan. Thanks for the feedback on the Holt markings. Quite interesting to me as it is the first clear census number noted on a tracked trailer also the fact that it is one removed from that of the tractor. One of the many pieces of the jig saw puzzle he said! Rod

Quote by Hawkeye View Post
    Willie a bit of a coincidence. I have a front on view of what I believe is the same sub taken in the harbour at Malta. Note on the back has the gun at 12inch which if correct would have made quite an impression on the crew members when it was fired. Charlie may have something to add when he re-visits. Pic was amongst a group of images relating to the troopships Himalaya and Rowan. Thanks for the feedback on the Holt markings. Quite interesting to me as it is the first clear census number noted on a tracked trailer also the fact that it is one removed from that of the tractor. One of the many pieces of the jig saw puzzle he said! Rod
    The mind certainly boggles at the thought of the gun going off. The M1 visited Malta; I've seen some photos on the net somewhere of it moored there. The M1 was the only M class to enter service before the end of the war, so your photo would be the same vessel. The 12 inch gun part is correct.
    I've looked at some Egyptian ports on Google Earth but it hasn't offered any clues as to location of the above photo. I may be seeing things, but it looks like a couple of pyramids in the background.

Cheers, Willie.

Looks like Istanbul to me?

I would agree. It does look like the Hagia Sophia in the background.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast