Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lord Strathcona Horse Canadian mounted MkI helmet, what do I have here?

Article about: So I bought this at a small antique store near the Canadian border about twenty years ago for about 10 to 20 dollars. I've done a bit of research on it and have determined the LSH stands for

Default Lord Strathcona Horse Canadian mounted MkI helmet, what do I have here?

So I bought this at a small antique store near the Canadian border about twenty years ago for about 10 to 20 dollars.

I've done a bit of research on it and have determined the LSH stands for Lord Strathcona's Horse, a mounted Canadian unit that served with the British expeditionary force in WW1. The helmet has a engraved stamp that seems to say HH/09.

Judging by the style of the helmet and the rivet on top, I'm fairly certain it's the MkI. Anyone confirm this or seen them with the LSH markings before? Also, what does the HH/09 mean?

Lord Strathcona Horse Canadian mounted MkI helmet, what do I have here?Lord Strathcona Horse Canadian mounted MkI helmet, what do I have here?Lord Strathcona Horse Canadian mounted MkI helmet, what do I have here?

Default Re: Lord Strathcona Horse Canadian mounted MkI helmet, what do I have here?

It's first war, second pattern wide issue Mk I helmet c. 1917, in early 1918 a rubber donut was included in the liner for comfort. The steel rim band is missing as evidenced by the shadow on the edge. The stampings are the steel supplier and lot numbers, for quality control. If they failed proofing then the entire batch could be removed verus being issued. "HH" [Harrison Bros. & Howson Ltd. (Sheffield)]
    The LSH is indeed the Strathconas, a cavalry uniy from western Canada - from my hometown of Calgary in fact. The Canadian Cav units all used basic letter stencils to their helmets instead of unit devices of formation flashes like other infantry units. I have a shell similar to yours for the Fort Gary Horse "FGH"

I collect WW I Canadian if you ever want to part with it PM me.