Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque

Article about: Here I have an M15 Engineers helmet. This particular model is made by Compagnie Coloniale (faint ink stamp in the crown of the helmet is just visible with the anchor and C either side). It i

Default M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque

M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaqueHere I have an M15 Engineers helmet. This particular model is made by Compagnie Coloniale (faint ink stamp in the crown of the helmet is just visible with the anchor and C either side). It is also possible to identify this helmet by the helmets comb and rivets. The helmet also has an ink stamp of B3 which indicates the size of around 63cm. The helmet has the second pattern liner (1916 onwards) and has from what I can see one coat of paint so factory applied. The engineers badge has a slightly different shade of blue but that is normal for these helmets as different factories used different shades of blue paint when constructing parts. The helmet bares the brass plaque on the helmets visor ' Soldat De La Grande Guerre ' (soldier of the Great War). From what I have read a soldier who was about to be demobilised could keep his helmet and a decree issued by the French government in December 1918 to award all soldiers the brass plaque whose units who had participated in active combat. Families of dead soldiers could apply to receive a helmet from stockpiles and apply for the plaque to have as a memorial of their lost loved ones. There were huge stockpiles of these helmets and so the French government had them sold off as souvenirs to anyone who wanted one with the brass plaque to the dissatisfaction and anger of French veterans. A space was left at the top of the plaque for the soldiers rank and name to be applied but not all soldiers applied the plaque to their helmets or had them inscribed and so this helmet could be one of those helmets or one of the ones the French government sold off as souvenirs. Thanks for looking guys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque   M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque  

M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque   M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque  

?

You've got some good stuff and an added extra picking up an Adrian with the original 6 finger liner.

I read once that the brass helmet plates came out in the 1930s only I've no idea where I read it, perhaps it was a dream Up until the end of the war, French helmets could be bought as souvenirs in Germany for 25 Marks each, the money went towards the Hinterbliebenenfuersorge (Welfare for Surviving Dependents).

Apart from an early war (WWII) MKII, mid war MKII, MKIII in brown and dated and a MKI*, a French Mle. 16 in wartime blue to an engineer or medic is on my list of must haves.

What kind of rivets are holding the brass plate in place? Mine has copper rivets, I think they used whatever was to hand.

Tell me what you can see about the manufacturer from the comb and rivets.

Tony

nice piece.

Quote by ynot View Post
    You've got some good stuff and an added extra picking up an Adrian with the original 6 finger liner.

I read once that the brass helmet plates came out in the 1930s only I've no idea where I read it, perhaps it was a dream Up until the end of the war, French helmets could be bought as souvenirs in Germany for 25 Marks each, the money went towards the Hinterbliebenenfuersorge (Welfare for Surviving Dependents).

Apart from an early war (WWII) MKII, mid war MKII, MKIII in brown and dated and a MKI*, a French Mle. 16 in wartime blue to an engineer or medic is on my list of must haves.

What kind of rivets are holding the brass plate in place? Mine has copper rivets, I think they used whatever was to hand.

Tell me what you can see about the manufacturer from the comb and rivets.

Tony
    Hi ynot here are some pictures of the brass plaque with the rivets holding them. I have added pictures of the comb and rivets. Check out this website a great resource for helmet collecting and his knowledge of French helmets is very good. It will show you show you how to identify the helmet manufacturer with some great pictures. But it's in French so you need to put it through a translator .: World War Helmets - Casque Adrian modèle 15 :.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque   M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque  

M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque   M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque  

M15 Adrian Engineers Helmet with brass memorial plaque  

?

Another hard to find helmet.