Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1916 Portuguese helmet

Article about: Just in, my M1916 CDT Portuguese helmet with complete early cloth liner. I'm happy now!!! Some minor rust but liner is in exellent shape! Regards, Michael

MAP
    ?

Default M1916 Portuguese helmet

Just in, my M1916 CDT Portuguese helmet with complete early cloth liner. I'm happy now!!!

Some minor rust but liner is in exellent shape!

Regards,

Michael

M1916 Portuguese helmetM1916 Portuguese helmetM1916 Portuguese helmetM1916 Portuguese helmetM1916 Portuguese helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Nice example, is the chin strap stiched to the helmet, or the liner?

Steve.

?

A hard one to find.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Tinhat View Post
    Nice example, is the chin strap stiched to the helmet, or the liner?

Steve.
    Thanks Steve.

Really hard to tell as it is so tight. But it is stitch to the helmet, I'm just not sure if the stitching goes through to the liner. I pulled down the leather sweat band but don't think there is stitching underneath but cant be certain without risking damage.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks, I had one which I knew the liner was not original to the helmet, the strap was stitched direct to the helmet, and I was never sure if it was original to the helmet. I sold it some time ago, it's just one of those unanswered questions.
    Steve.

MAP
    ?

Thanks, I had one which I knew the liner was not original to the helmet, the strap was stitched direct to the helmet, and I was never sure if it was original to the helmet. I sold it some time ago, it's just one of those unanswered questions.
    Steve.
    Took two shots of the inside of the liner. I will tell you that it is very old. Most of the cork is still there with lots of sweat stains. So if replaced it was a really long time ago and probably period.

From these pics there is no visible stitching directly on the liner but there are some loose threads. There are also a marking made in ink. Looks like the number 11 with a very small 2 next to it. But the "2" is so small it could be anything. Looking at it under a loop doesnt help.

should it be attached to the liner or the helmet. Or both?

Michael

M1916 Portuguese helmetM1916 Portuguese helmet
    Last edited by MAP; 05-16-2014 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo

?

Michael, thanks for the pics, I hope you don't think I was questioning your helmet, yours looks like it is all original. I was only looking to answer a question about how contrived the one I had was.

I don't know if how the strap should be fixed, but would think with the lack of rivets it would be stitched to shell, at least.
    Steve

MAP
    ?

Michael, thanks for the pics, I hope you don't think I was questioning your helmet, yours looks like it is all original. I was only looking to answer a question about how contrived the one I had was.

I don't know if how the strap should be fixed, but would think with the lack of rivets it would be stitched to shell, at least.
    Steve
    Steve,

Absolutely no problem. Wasn't thinking you were questioning it. And even it you were, wouldn't bother me in the least!

Regards,

Michael

Very cool lid!.....

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Very cool lid!.....
    "Like"

Thanks Gunny