Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1917 helmet marking legit?

Article about: I'm dying to get a hold of a nice complete M1917 with markings on it. But I'm too green to trust myself with verifying logos and markings. To me it looks far too bright and it appears that s

Default M1917 helmet marking legit?

I'm dying to get a hold of a nice complete M1917 with markings on it. But I'm too green to trust myself with verifying logos and markings.

To me it looks far too bright and it appears that some of the red has been scratched off (intentionally?) and at the top of the yellow marking a chip has come off revealing the color of the helmet underneath.

Default Re: M1917 helmet marking legit?

I am not an expert on these, but the unit insignia looks like it was recently painted to me.

?

The emblem painted appears to be the 1st Gas & Flame Regiment, but I too agree, it looks recently(after WW1) painted. Not sure if that regiment was known for placing thier emblem on the helmets.

?

The insignia is that of the 1st Infantry Division. As to the authenticity, it looks good to me but of course wait for the opinions of others.

?

1st Infantry In gold background? Nah. 1st unit to land in France during the Great War; 1st Gas & Flame all the way.

?

Quote by denfly View Post
    1st Infantry In gold background? Nah. 1st unit to land in France during the Great War; 1st Gas & Flame all the way.
    There are many units, regiments, divisions, etc. with the number 1 on it's insignia or patch. It is the background color that is the key to identifying which one it is appropiated to.

?

Below is a link to an authentic 1st ID painted M1917 from the Wilson History & Research Center:

1st Infantry Division "Big Red One" M-1917 Helmet

And here is a link to an authentic 1st gas and flame insignia (forgive me for using another forum's example):

Extremely Rare 1st Gas & Flame Group - U.S. Militaria Forum

You will see that the 1st G&F insignia is in the shape of a shield whereas the 1st ID is not. Please also note WH&R's description of their painted helmet where they specify the yellow background of the Big Red 1. The Big Red 1 on the OP's helmet is of course a tell tale sign.

I could see why you might be confused given the yellow background, however the OP's helmet is definitely painted for the 1st ID as evident by the photos and information I've provided. Not to mention other examples out there with provenance to the 1st ID painted in the same style. No question about it....
    Last edited by Masonk; 07-14-2011 at 08:22 PM.

?

Nice research yuengling325. I guess I learn something new still everyday. Thanks for the headsup.

?

No problem, Denfly. I learn something new on here everyday, and that's exactly what these forums are for.