Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Meuse Argonne sgt york relic

Article about: I was lucky ,to find a few relics from the Sgt York site in Chatel Chehery France .But one of them was extremely great ( a slug from a 45) I am trying to find out if this was one of Sgt York

Default Meuse Argonne sgt york relic

I was lucky ,to find a few relics from the Sgt York site in Chatel Chehery France .But one of them was extremely great ( a slug from a 45) I am trying to find out if this was one of Sgt York slugs.The slug was just on the stop of the ground next to a area I think had a machine gun.You can still see the mark from the barel of the gun. Is his Colt 45 still around and where.I would like to comfirm that this slug was shot by him any information to help me to do this would be great.This is just another projet ,I am working on ,I do know this would be probably not possible but if I do not try I will never know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Meuse Argonne sgt york relic   Meuse Argonne sgt york relic  

Meuse Argonne sgt york relic   Meuse Argonne sgt york relic  

Meuse Argonne sgt york relic   Meuse Argonne sgt york relic  

Default Re: Meuse Argonne sgt york relic

Here a few more pictures ,one with a cartridge shell found there also.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Meuse Argonne sgt york relic   Meuse Argonne sgt york relic  

Not getting much input on this subject not a surprise.But if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be nice.

Impossible to prove.

Nice to think it might be from Sgt. Yorks .45 though..........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-20-2010 at 03:45 AM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Impossible to prove.

Nice to think it might be from Sgt. Yorks .45 though..........
    Thank you walkwolf.I was thinking there was only a 5% chance I could do this.

You never know, it might be from his pistol, it might not be, but thats what makes it more interesting I'm sure if you had a look you would find a lot more bullets that could have been fired by him

Thanks

Danny

chris you make me so mad!!!!!!
    why do you keep finding these cool things!!!!! i want to find cool things!!!!!

haha sgt york's .45 slug, a camo SS helmet, normandy dog tags...

you, my friend, are either a master of archaeology or incredibly lucky : )

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    chris you make me so mad!!!!!!
    why do you keep finding these cool things!!!!! i want to find cool things!!!!!

haha sgt york's .45 slug, a camo SS helmet, normandy dog tags...

you, my friend, are either a master of archaeology or incredibly lucky : )
    I have been doing this for 30 years now since I was 8 years old.It also help to have 5 family menbers that collect also.But I would say I have been very lucky because I do not use a metal detector but will spent a 2 week vacation looking for relics close to 10 houres a day just walking the woods and fields.

Any info or help?
    Chris

Found this article in stars and stripes for ya Chris.

An Army officer pursuing the exact spot of the legendary feats of the greatest hero of World War I says he’s got the smoking gun — or in this case, the 90-year-old bullets — to prove his claim.

Lt. Col Doug Mastriano said that on Sunday he’ll show the two rounds he found a week ago in the French forest and that he believes are from Sgt. Alvin York’s Colt .45.

“There’s no other account of anyone firing a pistol in that area,” said Mastriano, who works for NATO in Heidelberg and has spent thousands of hours researching York’s exploits in archives and the Argonne.

Mastriano plans to hold a news conference with the rounds and other evidence at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery in Romagne, France. He said he expected some French reporters, The Associated Press and the New York Times, which wrote a story about his work a few months ago.

Mastriano is not the only one fascinated by York.

In April, after a group of academics, primarily from York’s home state of Tennessee, issued a claim with 80 percent certainty that they had found the spot, Mastriano said the group had gotten it wrong — by an entire valley.

It was that group, “The Sergeant York Project 2006,” which decided that what would settle the matter was long-elusive pistol rounds or shell casings, Mastriano said. “I don’t agree you need to find the rounds,” he said. “Before we found them, I was convinced we were right on.”

But when he found them last Saturday — buried in the earth at an appropriate depth and with the look of 88-year-old bullets — along with buttons and other evidence, all congruent with historical testimony and terrain analysis, Mastriano decided to alert the media.

“How I see it unfolding is the (other) team will look at our finds, and they’ll be convinced and compelled,” Mastriano said. “It’s undeniable.”

York, a corporal and a crack shot, is credited with taking out a group of German machine-gunners, killing 25 German soldiers and capturing 132 others with only seven other surviving U.S. soldiers, a Springfield rifle and a .45-caliber pistol for help.

But precisely where in the French Argonne region, near the little town of Chatel Chehery, York performed his feats in October 1918 has never been identified.

York earned the Medal of Honor for his feats, became an American legend and had Gary Cooper play him in a movie named after him. According to biographies, the devout Christian who once applied for status as a conscientious objector remained ambivalent about killing enemy soldiers and said he did so only to save more lives.

Here is another link also Google Images
    Eric
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast