Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Military Cross medal group

Article about: Hi to everyone , Im getting really into WW1 items , and picked up a really smart MC minature group in named box to a Major RW Roussel ,100th Battalian , Canadian Grenadier Guards. I tried to

Default Military Cross medal group

Hi to everyone ,
    Im getting really into WW1 items , and picked up a really smart MC minature group in named box to a Major RW Roussel ,100th Battalian , Canadian Grenadier Guards. I tried to look him up on MC list but no luck so far .... The MC is in very sharp relief and narrower than usually encountered.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Cross medal group   Military Cross medal group  

Default Re: Military Cross medal group

Hi Rob, I really like that. Very nice.

Should be a great research project.

Cheers, Ade.

well he isn't on the Canadian medal rolls, despite it being a canadian unit on the lid and no london gazette entry for a very distinct name. I'd say he didn't earn an MC and is what medal collectors refer to as a 'walt' after walter mitty, a self awarded fantasy. minitaures are not officially awarded but privately purchased and unnamed so very easy t pass oneself off as having awards not actually earned. somewhat common occurance.

Nice set. Interesting thin MC.

Maybe he had not reached the rank of Major when the medal(s)
    were awarded - or is he not on the rolls at all ?

Just a thought...........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi Rob,
    This could be pure coincidence however a search on Ancestry for the surname Roussel returned as it first result one Robert Wilfred Roussel b. Abt 1885 in Canada. The record I found was a 1930 US census record where at this point he was living in Massachusetts.

Could be coincidence or a good start; take it as you wish.

A search through WWI Canadian enlistment records return a few Roussel's, but none that match the initials on the case.

In any case, very nice grouping and good luck in your research!

No it is not possible this is his group. The 100 Winnipeg Grenadiers was a pre war militia unit established in 1910 with that title from a previsou militia unit, the 78Bn CEF for which the former unit rasied troops for service overseas did not go into the field until 1916. This group besides having an MC which is not in the official gazzettes, and there fore not a legitimate award to this man, has a 1914 star with the Mons clasp, frankly impossible for this man to have achieved unless he was with a BEF unit or the Canadian PPCLI. He is not on the nominal roll for the initial deployment of the 78Bn overseas. And as pointed out the initials do not match up to any CEF attestation papers nor does he appear on the officers lists for the BEF held at the PRO in England. Sorry - but these are not attributable to this man.