Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Military Medal Winners Photo Postcards

Article about: I picked up these postcards of what appear to be MM winners from the Royal Artillery. The one with two people on is the one with writing on the back. If anyone can suggest what it says that

Default Military Medal Winners Photo Postcards

I picked up these postcards of what appear to be MM winners from the Royal Artillery. The one with two people on is the one with writing on the back. If anyone can suggest what it says that would be great as I can't make it out, although I think I see the words "battle" and "Lloyd George"? Unfortunately as the RA was a large organisation during WW1 and the MM not the rarest award the research possibilities for these are limited, although I would take a guess that they were taken in 1918 as the one guy has 4 overseas service chevrons on his arm. Thanks for looking and any help with the writing would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Medal Winners Photo Postcards   Military Medal Winners Photo Postcards  

Military Medal Winners Photo Postcards  

?

Default Re: Military Medal Winners Photo Postcards

Looks like " After the Battle " , illegible , then "was a bit rough " illegible , then " but still smiling and carrying on as Lloyd George says "

Right hand side " This Bombardier belongs to the " illegible then somehting about " when he got the MM "

Interesting Cap badge on the Sgt !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Paul, that has shed some more light on it I do not know much about ww1 uniforms, why is his cap interesting? Cheers.

?

First World War badges are not my thing but the shape of the Artillery badge is unusual !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

My read is " After the battle. I look a bit rough. I just came out for a rest but still smiling and carrying on as Lloyd George says. This bombardier belongs to the same sub as me, he also got the M.M."

The cap badge in the third picture is interesting, I can't make it out but I suspect a 1919 era demob picture as he is all shined up and fresher looking. My hunch is at this point a Royal Garrison Artillery unit, their badges were a bit more compact and his shoulder title looks like RGA. I think it is the camera angle that is making it look a bit odd.

Ah I see, thanks for the info and thoughts on the badges, it had not occurred to me