Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

MK1 British Helmet

Article about: This MKI would have to be the best ive ever had in hand, im posting it as a reference for other collectors

Quote by wizardman View Post
    I was there for the new opening, didnt like it at all..everyone walking back and forth to a smart pad, to know what they were looking at..no one around the actual exhibit, just queuing for a screen
    The last time I went was for the new 100 years since WWI display, which was too packed and badly laid out with two many people in it. I also went to the similar exhibition in Berlin which was much better with plenty of space around the artifacts which allowed you to have a proper look at them, the space was much bigger. The IWM display had too much stuff jammed in to too small a space. Also a lot of the older fave exhibits have been removed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Best 100 years exhibit imo, is the Australian War Memorial..Always a great museum, but they just got the mix right, between 'child friendly' and Intelligent.

I found the opposite at IWM North... Too little (behind glass) in a vast area. The last time I was there the T34 tank had a sign saying: 'Do Not Touch.' maybe they were worried about it getting damaged?

Some years ago, I was representing my daughter at a special media-only viewing of an important exhibition of WW1 art. There was a famous painting of blinded/gas victims with hand on the shoulder of the soldier in front being led away to safety. One of the staff on hand to help - saw me looking at it, and told me that it was a painting of soldiers being led to the trenches in the dark. its enough to make you weep!

The US m1917 helmet specifications definitely state that the pad was to be made from asbestos. I don't have a copy of the Mk. I liner specs, but the specs for the US m1917 helmet shells were copied nearly word for word from the Mk. I specs. It follows that the liner specs would be as well.

Quote by aef1917 View Post
    The US m1917 helmet specifications definitely state that the pad was to be made from asbestos. I don't have a copy of the Mk. I liner specs, but the specs for the US m1917 helmet shells were copied nearly word for word from the Mk. I specs. It follows that the liner specs would be as well.
    It would be great if you can post a scan of the actual specs.
    Regards,

Jerry

This book was published just after the end of the great war in 1920 and has no mention of asbestos throughout the entire book.

It is very comprehensive for those who have not seen it previously, including detailed discussion of manufacturing techniques etc...

https://archive.org/stream/helmetsbo...ge/n5/mode/2up
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    It would be great if you can post a scan of the actual specs.
    A picture is worth a thousand words.

MK1 British Helmet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3