Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

More Glass from YPRES!!!

Article about: Well I have this thing for Ypres, I have shown the 2 panals that were made, (at least part of them were made from Medievial Glass) from Ypres, some think it is all crap and I had them made,

?

Default More Glass from YPRES!!!

More Glass from YPRES!!!More Glass from YPRES!!!More Glass from YPRES!!!More Glass from YPRES!!!More Glass from YPRES!!!More Glass from YPRES!!!More Glass from YPRES!!!Well I have this thing for Ypres, I have shown the 2 panals that were made, (at least part of them were made from Medievial Glass) from Ypres, some think it is all crap and I had them made, not a chance!!! I am not like that, the 2 panals were bought at an antique market with the sellers not knowing what they were, neither did I but I liked them, so I bought them, then a friend of a friend came over to look at them, and said most, if not all of the glass was Mideieval.... then a few months later I found this, still has a tag on it, makes it all worthwhile!!!
    Sorry for the spelling PTSS has been bad this past couple of weeks.

But still love these items including the "new" Leaded Glass tagged bit, the tag is cloth, not paper and is old, So I believe it correct,
    Please feel free to make comments.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Very nice. I have seen similar pieces in the In Flanders Fields Museum in the Cloth hall in Ypres so these things are most definitely around. I guess they were picked up and made by civvies for sale to soldiers from the ruins of the original cloth hall when it was blasted to smithereens. I would say that yours are actually nicer and more ornate than those I have seen previously.

?

Those are neat pieces.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Those are neat pieces.
    I agree, very neat pieces.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Did you notice the text is French however Ypres was Flemish! Nothing wrong with it...in matters of theyre originality!
    WWI was a turning point for Flanders who was patronized by French speaking Belgium.Most buildings of Ypres were rebuild after the war in a exact pre WWI state, it would be intresting to see in wich language the glass in lead are now.
    Intresting finds.
    Cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

neat items to have.

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Did you notice the text is French however Ypres was Flemish! Nothing wrong with it...in matters of theyre originality!
    WWI was a turning point for Flanders who was patronized by French speaking Belgium.Most buildings of Ypres were rebuild after the war in a exact pre WWI state, it would be intresting to see in wich language the glass in lead are now.
    Intresting finds.
    Cheers
    |<ris
    The glass might have come from the Skt. Martin's Cathedral?

(pictures taken during second to last visit in 2012 - I visited this summer too, but did not take any additional photos.)
    More Glass from YPRES!!!
    More Glass from YPRES!!!

Nice topic and artifacts! I believe Lloyd George and Adolf Hitler served at Ypres. They were pretty friendly with each other in the post war years and reminisced with regard as to how close their proximities were in the trenches.....Hitler actually drew a sketch of that trenchline and gave it to LG.

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Nice topic and artifacts! I believe Lloyd George and Adolf Hitler served at Ypres. They were pretty friendly with each other in the post war years and reminisced with regard as to how close their proximities were in the trenches.....Hitler actually drew a sketch of that trenchline and gave it to LG.
    Do you by chance mean Anthony Eden? Lloyd George was Minister of Munitions and PM during WW1 .

Indeed, I mangled that one as I had seen a picture of Hitler and LG having a spirited chuckle at some meeting and superimposed that image. Anthony Eden is the fellow I meant, thanks for the correction!