Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More medal madness

Article about: I seem to have become addicted to buying great war medals, partly because you get so much potential for finding out about their original recipient, though not always. I have 3 singles from s

"I seem to have become addicted to buying great war medals, partly because you get so much potential for finding out about their original recipient, though not always."

It is quite enjoyable to research a soldier whose medal is available. I recently purchased a BWM to the Notts & Derby Regiment for about $35USD. I found his service record. It included a letter from his father in 1917 asking for him to be pulled out of the firing line, as he was not yet 19 years old. He was later captured on the first day of the Kaiserschlact, and became a Prisoner of War for the remainder of the conflict.

I also have a BWM/VM pair to a soldier who ended up at a medical station stammering after being buried by a shell for about 15 minutes! He had to be dug out.

Default Green

He also suffered a grenade wound in the face on August 9, 1917. I have his medal pair.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More medal madness  

Great to see I am not the only one, though I already knew that. I can't thank you enough for all your help on these medals.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by paul kennedy View Post
    SWB list:
    On this list Thompson is noted as being discharged from class P, which I had to research.

Class P Reserve and Class P(T) were introduced by the same Army Order 355/16. These classes consisted of men
    - ‘whose services are deemed to be temporarily of more value to the country in civil life rather than in the Army’
    - and who were not lower than medical grade C iii
    - and as a result of having served in the Army or TF would, if discharged, be eligible for a pension on the grounds of disability or length of service.

Men in Classes P and P(T) were, for the purposes of pay, allowances, gratuity and pension, treated as if they been discharged on the date of their transfer to Class P or P(T); that is. they did receive money from the Army. Other terms and conditions were as for Class W.

Authorisation was given in early December 1918 for all classes of the P and W Reserves (with the exception of conscientious objectors in the latter case) to be discharged forthwith, irrespective of their original terms of engagement.
    Regards,

Jerry

nice finds Jerry.

Last one for now, honestly!!!!

WW1 Victory Medal

Correctly named to 8801 PTE. P. HORROBIN. R. LANC. R.

Percy Horrobin was a pre-war soldier and was entitled to a 1914 trio and SWB

Percy Horrobin died, aged 64 in 1953 in Bucklow, Cheshire.

A good early 30th August entry into France, a proper old contemptible and though only his VM, an interesting item of history.
    Regards,

Jerry

In glorious technocolour

Off to bed now.

Nice one Jerry
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default rolls

Here are the rolls:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture More medal madness   More medal madness  

More medal madness  

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2