Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.

Article about: Hi Guys, here is my Grandad, Corporal Isaac Stevenson, Royal Field Artillery, pictured with my Grandma, Hilda Elizabeth Stevenson, just after they were married. He got two weeks leave in whi

?

Default Re: My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.

Nice one Ade , any idea of his RFA Units yet ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul, no, still a work in progress on that one.

I have recently tried (finally) to finish my family tree. Found out a lot of interesting info which has side tracked me even more. Found several more forgotten ancestors who fought in WW1, including a MM winner from your neck of the woods.

Just spoke to my Dad who actually has a different version of the SJAB photo, so another scan to come.

Cheers, Ade.

While researching my family tree I have got in contact with a relative in Canada. He has kindly sent some more pics of his Grandad to share here. I mentioned him, Arthur Ray Barnsley, in post 3 of this thread.

Arthur was a bandsman. He can be seen here, third from the left, on the front row. The family still has his trombone seen in the pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.   My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.  

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Nice one Ade , any idea of his RFA Units yet ?
    Hi Paul, finally got around to contacting the National Archives in order to establish my Grandad's actual unit. I get too busy helping out other folks at times, so I have made time this holiday to do something for myself. I should have a copy of his medal roll entry coming which should give his Battalion's number. From there, I will be able to trace the footsteps of his unit. As I said before, my intention is to do this with an actual visit to the Western Front, last year everything was put on hold due to my Mum's heart attack. But now life is returning to normal I can get back to finishing this project.

Cheers, Ade.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Grandad was on 18prd's. I was happy to discover that you can download a copy of the 1913 edition of the field manual from the Canadian Archives for free! These guys are the biz!

Handbook of the 18-PR. Q.F. GUN - Land Service : His Majesty's Stationary Office UK : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Cheers, Ade.

Newly found photo of him taken in WW2 standing outside home.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.  

Again another find from the family photo albums. This is a magazine cutting showing the village of Mametz. We know he fought on the Somme. Clearly he placed this in the album for a reason, was he there?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.  

?

Excellent Ade glad you are making progress , looks like he must have been at Mametz if you need any help let me know as i have quite an archive of books on the Somme,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Nice story. Ade you have some really great treasures there, especially having them directly from a family member. Having items with sentimental value is something really special and awesome. I liked the part with the wedding rings.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Hi Paul, had a very dissappointing reply from the National Archives. Basically they cannot be bothered to pull the file.......

However, I have found a researcher who will get me the info for a very small charge, £5 per medal roll entry.

Hi Chris, thanks for the kind comments.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast