Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.

Article about: Hi Guys, here is my Grandad, Corporal Isaac Stevenson, Royal Field Artillery, pictured with my Grandma, Hilda Elizabeth Stevenson, just after they were married. He got two weeks leave in whi

Default Re: My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.

What a wonderful thread. Rob, you are definitely a forum keeper. haha

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Good to see things are moving on Ade , have you tried the Great War forum ?
    Hi Paul, no I have not. Perhaps I should give it a try?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Paul, no I have not. Perhaps I should give it a try?

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade there are some very knowledgable WW1 Artillery guys on there who have years of research behind them , they were very helpful to me when i was researching my Grandads career in the RGA , definately give it a go !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul, I am off there now Thanks.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade, this is a great thread! I really like these personal stories, especially when you can see the research taking place. It is a real thrill as you get results and thoroughly rewarding also. I have done the same thing with a couple of my rellies and still have a couple more to do, including a grandfather. Thanks for sharing what is a personal story with all of us, cheers, Dave.

Just for completeness, here are the Medal Roll entries as mentioned in post 31 of this thread.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.   My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.  

Rob are you an ex Gun Bunny ??
    No I'm not, I just find the RA and their methods fascinating. Its a beautifully technical, mathematical way to fight, and the artilleries of the Commonwealth truly did bring this to the highest level, which makes it worth the study - death by slide rule, protractor and plotting board

Also, for such a significant player, its role is not well understood.

Rob

?

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    No I'm not, I just find the RA and their methods fascinating. Its a beautifully technical, mathematical way to fight, and the artilleries of the Commonwealth truly did bring this to the highest level, which makes it worth the study - death by slide rule, protractor and plotting board

Also, for such a significant player, its role is not well understood.

Rob
    Ah right, i did my training on 25 Pdrs , 105 Lights and 105 Packs but then went onto the Mortar Locating Troop ( Cymbeline ) and forgot much of what i was taught about Gunnery !! Never thought of it as a beautifully technical, mathematical way to fight as it was such bloody hard work , that said when i was on the LP's calling in a CB Fire Mission it was am awesome sight , the God of War in action !! Watching some of the shoots by numerous guns and Batteries during WW1 and WW2 must have been incredible !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Watching some of the shoots by numerous guns and Batteries during WW1 and WW2 must have been incredible !
    I agree, I'm sure it's one of those things you could't really imagine without being there. Absolutely terrifying, I would think...

Rob

Here is a quick pic of the WW2 version of the Barrage Table, the 'Gun Programme' for comparison:

My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.

Rob

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast