Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.

Article about: hi everyone i need some help im trying to replicate my great grandfathers uniform he was a serving sergeant with the west riding regiment the question is what things will i have to find and

Default My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.

hi everyone

i need some help im trying to replicate my great grandfathers uniform he was a serving sergeant with the west riding regiment
    the question is what things will i have to find and what would he have worn (preferably with pictures)

thanks

tom

Default re: My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.

Hi Tom, a nice project but not a cheap one if you intend to have all original items. It is now possible to buy repro though.

You will need a Service Dress tunic, Service dress cap and cap badge and a 1908 pattern webbing belt.

This site will help:

British Infantry Uniforms 1914-1915

Cheers, Ade.

thats a brilliant website ade thanks (even repros arn't cheap unfortunatly)

tom

Hi Tom, if you did go down the repro route I highly recommend my old friend Steve. He makes the best repro uniforms and webbing out there:

Pegasus Militaria: Our Products

The site is a bit basic at present due to a re-vamp.

Cheers, Ade.

Maybe these chaps of the West Riding Regt. will help you out a bit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.   My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

i will check out that site ade thanks
    ned brilliant phots
    this is my great grandfather Sgt Norris C
    i know he died at the second battle of arras but thats about it im trying to find a bit more but he was one of the many thats records burned (supposedly)

thanks
    tom

Glad to help, here's one last one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Great-Grandfather: Sgt Norris H. Crossley, West Riding Regt.  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I just wanted to add my thoughts on this project I suggest a bit more research to get this right. We can certainly say he would have worn:

Service Dress Cap
    Service Dress Jacket
    Service Dress Trousers
    Puttees
    Boots

His equipment could have been 1908 Pattern Web Equipment, but could also easily have been 1914 Pattern Infantry Equipment (or even 1903 Bandolier if he was in the transport section). Actually one of the photos big ned posted shows an 1888 Pattern Waistbelt

Insignia is the next thing. He would have worn metal shoulder titles on his jacket, but these do vary depending on which battalion he was with. He might also have worn cloth patches (often called Battle Insignia), but, again, we would need to know which Bn of the Dukes we are talking about.

I have one concern too. You mention he was killed, so I looked up Serjeant C Norris in the Commonwealth War Graves Commision, and there seems to be no listing of any such person in the Duke of Wellington's Regt having died. Is there some other information? Because if we can pin him down on this listing, we can get his service number and possibly work out his Bn. The only Norris i can find from the Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regt) is 204735 Private Harry Norris, who was killed on 27th Nov 1917.

I have always liked the Dukes. I lived and ran a small collecting shop in the Piece Hall in Halifax, W Yorks in the mid 1990s. Used to get soldiers coming in looking for brass cap badges, because they were shinier, and once sold some dress blues to an officer, as he was going to a wedding and didn't want to have to buy a brand new set. Fun days. Regiment has been amalgamated to death now

Rob

Hi Tom, I have access to some records care of Ancestry. Let me know what info you have, either here or via PM, and I will see what I can find.

The burned records, care of the Luftwaffe, are a real bummer! My Grandad's records are gone too.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: nice info and images Guys.

okay here we go lads this is what i managed to find Its sergeant Norris H Crossley of the 2ns/7th bn duke of wellingtons dies on 3rd may 1917 no. 305856 and is located at the arras memorial (unfortunatly his body was never found) any help with other information would be brilliant this is all i got from my grandad and dad who tried serching awhile ago.

thanks
    tom

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast